Rattling from engine!

1 reply to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 18, 2001 - 10:49 PM

I rode at Glamis this weekend for the first time and had a great time but I noticed a new noise coming from my 99'400. It didn't occur with out a load on the engine like if I rev it in neutral. It seemed to only happen in gear when at a good cruising speed/rpms for running in the dunes. It sounded like a pinging noise but it seemed to be too loud. I haven't heard my bike ping for sure though so I haven't ruled that out. I'm curious how out of adjustment the valves would have to be till they got real loud? Is there a possibility that the timing chain could have been slapping something? I haven't had the motor apart since I've owned it but I'm definately going to check the valve clearence before the next ride. Any other ideas? It's really hard to pin point where the sound was coming from since like I said it is only while riding and in only a small RPM window. I am running 92 octane gas adn it was probably 85 degrees out there this weekend but would that be enough to make the bike ping? Thanks for ideas to look for in advance!!
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted February 19, 2001 - 07:08 AM

I suspect it could be your CB gear key. Do a search and you will find lots of info about it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.