Thanks to all involved in aluminum to chrome thread! *PICS*

12 replies to this topic
  • MOmilkman

Posted June 27, 2003 - 07:46 AM

Well I finally got my bar risers finished.. well, almost. I couldnt find a clear coat to put over the top to keep them from tarnishing again but at least they look good for now! :D

Thanks to everyone for the "how to" on polishing aluminum to make it shine. I will have to say, it turned out good but not "quite" as good as I hoped. Lets just say I had my sights set to high.
I also have a lot of newfound respect for guys that have done this to their street bikes. Espically if it was by hand.

This is before:
Posted Image

AND AFTER!!!
Posted Image

I dont have a great digital camera (its my camcorder) but you get the idea of the transition.

Thanks a million guys! Whats next... mabye my aluminum frame guards? :)

• Jetster220

Posted June 27, 2003 - 08:29 AM

WOW that looks pretty slick man. Almost makes me want to do it to my bike. :)

• jwriott

Posted June 27, 2003 - 09:05 AM

I think it looks pretty good. After doing my frame by hand, I doubt I'd ever do it that way again. A bench grinder with a clothe wheel works great. I may do the scoops and side panels on my Vmax. If I do, I'll post the pictures but it's going to be a while.

• captain_S

Posted June 27, 2003 - 10:24 AM

It looks real good man :),if your still not happy with the finish,go over it again with the fine wet`n`dry paper(the finest you can find),and if you are going to polish a smooth alloy surface with paper dont start off with too rough a grade!(thats where the scratch marks come from)rough grade is only good for starting on a rough cast alloy surface.Sure power tools will do the job a lot faster in some applications,but you must be carefull with them,not just because they can cause you severe injury but if you try to rush and put to much pressure they can leave a small ripple effect on the surface you want to polish (and heat marks!) and be carefull with small parts,power tools can flick them across a room as fast as a bullet!.Not everybody has the time to spend hand finishing parts for sure,but i have found that with care a hand finish is second to none,it just takes a lot more time! :D

• MOmilkman

Posted June 27, 2003 - 10:45 AM

Thanks everyone!

I actually only used 2 different grits of sandpaper. I used the 400 grit for starters and then finished with 600 grit. All while sanding wet.
I couldnt find any 800 grit paper or I would have used it too. :)
If I do, I might go over it again.

Now if I could just find some alloy sealer.. :D

• captain_S

Posted June 27, 2003 - 11:06 AM

Try a car body shop,i have found 1200 grit works well,i also use an alloy pollish (turns black whilst polishing)then buff of with a clean cloth,then another! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NorCalRider

Posted June 27, 2003 - 11:35 AM

Now if I could just find some alloy sealer..

Zoop Seal is the way to go. It's a bit pricey but the kit will last you a very long time. The good thing is that it will seal in the shine for 2-4 years. No more buffing to make it look like new again.

www.zoopseal.com

• yamaha.dude

Posted June 27, 2003 - 11:41 AM

I can get grits down to 300 in wet & dry... that will give you a good finish if you work through the grades... 600, 800, 1200, 2400 and then the 3000... steel wool is rougher... LOL

A light rub with alloy polish, and your are good to go... keep looking for the supplies... if you have them, your job will be so much easier...

David

• Chaindrive

Posted June 27, 2003 - 09:27 PM

That looks great, Darin! :)

"What's next?" Why, my swingarm, of course! How soon can you have it back too me? :D

I see you installed the fork air bleeders into your caps. How do you like them? My boys' King Cobras come with them stock on their inverted forks (Not bad for 50cc bikes!) and I am amazed at how the pressure can build up in the tubes.

• MN_Kevin

Posted June 28, 2003 - 01:50 AM

Darin,
I brought my aluminum Stroker SX-1 exhaust canister in to work. Although I am very limited on the use of our machine shop stuff, the buffing wheel is open to me.

We have some super fancy, wicked stuff in our machine shop. C'mon it IS a nuclear power plant for Pete's sake.
[BTW, the term "wicked" is used extensively here in the northeast. It is "wicked" hot, "wicked" cold, she is "wicked" nasty, "wicked" sweet, I am "wicked" early, "wicked" late, etc. Initially I was extremely amused hearing it used. Now IT IS part of my vocabulary. When I leave New England, hopefully soon, and get down to PA, possibly in the vicinity of Senor* Moderator Bill, I WILL miss "wicked".]

Anyhoo, my buddy's response from the before to after was "F*** Me!!!"

I did not get a mirror finish, but the difference was really astounding. I did not imagine getting aluminum to do that.

-OT-
So are you keeping those elbows up and out WITH your re-grip, body in the attack position?
Keeping your toe pointed out near the front axle, scooched all the way forward on your seat, while driving through those corners?

I have to review "How to Flow Like a Pro" again (and again and again and again...) to make "concentration" into "reaction".

*ThumperTalk did not like the hispanic spelling of Senor. The n with the little tildy above it. In fact, this is what it looked like: Seńor

What is up with that??

• jwriott

Posted June 28, 2003 - 12:09 PM

I finally found it on the web. The stuff I have at home is called X-treem Metal Majic.

Here's the link X-treem

• MOmilkman

Posted June 30, 2003 - 04:43 AM

I see you installed the fork air bleeders into your caps. How do you like them?

I love the bleeders. I had a machinest buddy of mine put them in for me. I think they make them now to just screw into your existing bleed hole. I almost have a habit of releasing the air pressure too much. Even while riding! LOL I like to reach down and hear it go.. PSSSSSSSSSS.. :)
Mentally it makes me think my forks are working better so in turn I ride better. :D

I brought my aluminum Stroker SX-1 exhaust canister in to work. Although I am very limited on the use of our machine shop stuff, the buffing wheel is open to me

Kev, Did you use a wicked sealer too? I bet that pipe does look wicked. :D

I finally found it on the web. The stuff I have at home is called X-treem Metal Majic

Thank you sir! Im gonna order some up today and get that baby sealed!

• MOmilkman

Posted June 30, 2003 - 06:09 AM

So are you keeping those elbows up and out WITH your re-grip, body in the attack position?
Keeping your toe pointed out near the front axle, scooched all the way forward on your seat, while driving through those corners?

Kevin, (I forgot to respond to this)

I havent even gotten a chance to watch it yet. My wife has been watching to much home and garden tv and that stupid show Changing Places or Trading Rooms or whatever it is.. So I have spent every waking moment of the last week painting. We finally got done with the living room last night so mabye this week I will get to sit down and do a bit of viewing of the tape.

BTW: Home and Garden TV and TLC channel has now been deleted from my channel list on my Direct TV grid. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.