chain slack.. can't be right.

10 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted September 21, 2010 - 08:27 AM

Reading the manual for my 450 it says that on the last bolt for the chain guard on the swingarm, there should be 2-2.4 inches of distance if you stretch the chain upwards with your hand..

Really?
My chain has stretched to this point now and it looks really really loose. I can hear the chain hitting something when I'm in 1st gear putting around...
I'm thinking an inch maybe

How much slack do you guys have on yours?

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2010 - 08:52 AM

The '06-'09 is the same way. If you ever make the mistake of running it tighter than that minimum, you run the real and considerable risk of breaking the rear hub. The chain gets tighter as the swing arm swings through the center of its travel. When the swing arm is pointed straight at the front sprocket, you need to have 1/2" of true slack in the chain.

Look this over:

http://www.thumperta...182#post8906182

• brentn

Posted September 21, 2010 - 11:15 AM

As always grey, you explained it perfectly.

Thank you!

U are def YZer

• Polar_Bus

Posted September 21, 2010 - 12:46 PM

A tight chain, moist sand, and whoops spell disaster for a rear hub granade. Run yer' chain loose, ignore the ungodly loud chain slap-whacking off the swingarm buffer, and ride with no worries... :ride:

• blakers213

Posted September 21, 2010 - 04:39 PM

I agree completely with you. I have an 09 and when I adjust my chain per the manual the chain has alot of slack and after each ride the slider is disappearing. I have about 3 1/2 hours on my bike and the slider is just about spent.When adjusted per manual the 2 to 2.4 inches of slack at the slider bolt the chain is so loose it lays on it completely so if the swingarm wasn't there I can't imagine the total amout of slack that would be in the chain. I'm going to go broke buying sliders for this bike.I also don't like the fact that when adjusting the chain there is different amount of notches on each side, every bike I have ever owned I could just make sure both sides were on the same notch and the wheel would be fairly straight I think Yamaha should have not done this.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • STROKEDIESEL

Posted September 21, 2010 - 05:41 PM

a motion pro alignment tools helps greatly with these bikes.

• grayracer513

Posted September 21, 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'm going to go broke buying sliders for this bike.I also don't like the fact that when adjusting the chain there is different amount of notches on each side, every bike I have ever owned I could just make sure both sides were on the same notch and the wheel would be fairly straight I think Yamaha should have not done this.

I have only replaced one slider on two '06's that I have, and that was because it wore out under the swing arm pivot (you should check there now and then).

As far as the blocks, the left one has a ledge on the front end of it to hold the axle from turning when tightened. That takes the place of one of the index marks. The blocks are marked identically if you count from the back to the front. :ride:

• cowboyona426

Posted September 22, 2010 - 06:35 AM

I agree completely with you. I have an 09 and when I adjust my chain per the manual the chain has alot of slack and after each ride the slider is disappearing. I have about 3 1/2 hours on my bike and the slider is just about spent.When adjusted per manual the 2 to 2.4 inches of slack at the slider bolt the chain is so loose it lays on it completely so if the swingarm wasn't there I can't imagine the total amout of slack that would be in the chain. I'm going to go broke buying sliders for this bike.I also don't like the fact that when adjusting the chain there is different amount of notches on each side, every bike I have ever owned I could just make sure both sides were on the same notch and the wheel would be fairly straight I think Yamaha should have not done this.

TM Designworks chain slider... expensive but you only need to buy one once.

• dvn

Posted September 22, 2010 - 12:18 PM

TM Designworks chain slider... expensive but you only need to buy one once.

I had one on my KXF. I took it off after one ride. Couldn't stand the racket it made. I have 50 hrs on my stock slider and it's just about due for replacement. I'll replace mine every 50 hrs rather than listen to that. These things are noisy enough as it is!

• cowboyona426

Posted September 22, 2010 - 01:19 PM

I had one on my KXF. I took it off after one ride. Couldn't stand the racket it made. I have 50 hrs on my stock slider and it's just about due for replacement. I'll replace mine every 50 hrs rather than listen to that. These things are noisy enough as it is!

Yeah they are a bit noisy. The one I have on my 06 is substantially quieter than the one on my old 00 however.

• grayracer513

Posted September 22, 2010 - 01:23 PM

The original TMD sliders were LOUD. The newer ones have a foam tape under them that reduces the noise to where they're just loud.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.