Does a 51 tooth fit with stock chain?

16 replies to this topic
  • rickburlington

Posted September 21, 2010 - 03:42 AM

Hello to All,

I did a search, found all kinds of info on what people like and dislike, but I could not find a yes or no answer with regards to...will a 51 tooth rear fit, ( 13 on the front) with the stock number of links, ( 113 + the master link ) ? ,

The would assume gets us all in trouble, but I assume the 50 tooth with 13 will fit? ( re 113 + M/L) Again, looking for confirmation.

Thanks to All !!!

• davcon

Posted September 21, 2010 - 04:36 AM

Not sure how many links my chain has but its stock. I'm running a 52 tooth aluminum and the stock countershaft sprocket. The masterlink clip is wearing thin from rubbing on the chain guard but other than that no problems.

• rickburlington

Posted September 21, 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thanks davcon !!

• MarkSk

Posted September 23, 2010 - 09:21 PM

On my '10, I swapped out the stock 48t with a 50t and the chain fits fine. Looking at the adjuster, it *looks* like there is enough adjustement room left to go up to a 51t but can only personally vouch for the 50t.

Oh, keeping the front tire on the ground is now even more difficult but I use 3rd gear way more.

• Beatcoaster

Posted September 27, 2010 - 08:48 PM

I got the GYTR 51t and had to get a new chain as the stocker didn't fit. I got a RK EXW Gold chain to go along with it and haven't even needed to adjust it yet after 3 rides - just goes to show how weak the stock chain really was...

• rickburlington

Posted September 28, 2010 - 03:39 AM

Thank Gents !!

I pick up the 51 tomorrow, hope to put it on over the weekend. I'll post from there so we all are informed.

Thanks again

• rickburlington

Posted October 30, 2010 - 11:28 AM

The 51 tooth sprocket fit my 113 link chain plus the master link. I have a 50 tooth rear coming in,but that will not get installed until next year.

Thanks again to all.

• stealman

Posted October 30, 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thats interresting. On my 08 with the stock chain length, 114 links, a 51 wont fit. A 50 fits. What year bike do you have?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mdkcrf250r

Posted October 30, 2010 - 09:14 PM

On my 08 I went with a 50 and it barely fit I have the axle run as far forward as possible. I'm not positive if its the stock chain but I believe it is.

Posted October 31, 2010 - 06:20 PM

is putting another link and another master on a chain a bad idea, in order to avoid buying a longer chain? I would think you guys would have issues when running a paddle tire, having it hit the swingarm with the axle all the way forward. I run a 13/51 on my yz250, and had issues with the paddle. Did that double master link as a quick fix on a cr450x i was riding at the dunes a couple years ago, was wondering if its something I should avoid in the future.

• stealman

Posted October 31, 2010 - 08:52 PM

I would like to know about the double master link as well? It seems like it should be fine.

• DBMX 925

Posted November 01, 2010 - 01:35 AM

2 master links, not recommended, but doable.

• tech24

Posted November 01, 2010 - 05:39 AM

Not saying a 114 wont fit but why not just get 116 and be done with it. I wouldn't double up on master link either these machines but down some HP and added weakness isn't a good idea but in a pinch I guess it can be done.

• rickburlington

Posted November 03, 2010 - 01:27 AM

YZ in question is a 2007. I used grayracers (patent pending) piece of wood which gives you the proper slack in the chain. There is maybe 1/4" more room for the axle to move forward.

• dubee

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:29 AM

I got mine with a 13font and 53back, but its so close fit that it is kinda tough to get back wheele of somtimes lol now i got a 14 in front with 53 back but i think im gonna get a 50 back soon.

• stealman

Posted November 03, 2010 - 10:10 AM

YZ in question is a 2007. I used grayracers (patent pending) piece of wood which gives you the proper slack in the chain. There is maybe 1/4" more room for the axle to move forward.

Now that I think about it my bike has Ziptie wheel adjusters on it and that might be the reason the 114 link chain will not work with the 13/51 gearing.

Posted November 04, 2010 - 04:54 AM

deal on sprockets, dunno how god they are, but i might pick up a replacement as mine is wearing down, just can't decide if i want to try a smaller sprocket, as my gearing is too low in some situations.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.