Battery for kick starting

8 replies to this topic
  • c9buff

Posted September 20, 2010 - 07:23 PM

I've got an 05 WR 450. Had nothing but problems with the e start system and don't want to shell out more money for a new starter. I would like to pull the starter but keep a small battery in the system.

I've tried to kick the bike with the battery disconnected. It is very difficult. Once the battery is reconnected it will fire first kick.

My question, why does the WR need a battery for KICK starting and the YZ does not.

Thanks Guys,

buff

• mach1jonny

Posted September 20, 2010 - 10:38 PM

The battery acts as a capacitor of sorts. This is a little simiplistic answaer to your question. I believe the YZ has one stock?

• slowriding

Posted September 20, 2010 - 10:56 PM

You could probably replace the battery with a capacitor out of yz. On some of the bikes with e-start the CDI charges from the 12V supply instead of having a big source coil in the stator. If your battery is missing or dead you have to spin the engine enough for the stator to provide 12V to the CDI before you get spark. If your battery is screwed instead of just dead you might not get it started without removing it.

Both a capacitor or a battery help smooth out the power from the charging system, so I would recommend having one or the other.

• mach1jonny

Posted September 20, 2010 - 11:01 PM

You could probably replace the battery with a capacitor out of yz. On some of the bikes with e-start the CDI charges from the 12V supply instead of having a big source coil in the stator. If your battery is missing or dead you have to spin the engine enough for the stator to provide 12V to the CDI before you get spark. If your battery is screwed instead of just dead you might not get it started without removing it.

Both a capacitor or a battery help smooth out the power from the charging system, so I would recommend having one or the other.

Thanks for the info - wasn't sure if I knew exactly how it worked. Thanks again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TracksNTrails

Posted September 21, 2010 - 09:53 AM

I removed the battery from my 03 WR450 when it was 2 months old. It has been kick-started started ever since, and I did not add a capacitor.

• c9buff

Posted September 22, 2010 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the info. You guys would'nt have a link to a capacitor that I could use would you?

Thanks,

buff

• mach1jonny

Posted September 22, 2010 - 07:16 PM

I'm actually looking for 1 myself. Gnarly parts has them so does Trail tech.

• c9buff

Posted September 22, 2010 - 08:12 PM

Thanks Mach1,

Do you think the capacitor would store enough voltage so the bike would kick start easily? This bike is a bear to start with no battery and my leg could'nt take it.

Thanks,

buff

• slowriding

Posted September 22, 2010 - 11:43 PM

Just leave the battery in? Seems easiest.

Unplug the small wire from the starter relay or even just tape up the big wire you take off the starter.

Without looking at diagrams for a WR and a YZ I am not sure if there are other differences besides e-start and lights.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.