re-gearing recommendations

1 reply to this topic
  • crmaverick

Posted September 20, 2010 - 03:03 PM

Im looking to gear down my 05 yz 450 for the woods to help compensate for only having a 4 speed. would going down a tooth in the front do the job, or should I go up a tooth in the rear sprocket as well this?

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mach1jonny

Posted September 20, 2010 - 10:45 PM

Depends what are you running currently. 1 tooth on the front is ruffely 3 teeth in the back. Meaning = reduce 1 tooth in the front is like going up 3 teeth in the rear. Calculation is- number of teeth on the rear sprocket divided by the number of teeth on the front sproket the will give you the secondary drive ratio. On my WR I felt it had a lack of torque, I went up 1 tooth on the rear sprocket - I'm happy.
Less teeth on front or more teeth on rear = more torque * Would not go lower then 13T on front

More teeth on front or less teeth on rear = more top end

Hope this makes sense

Good luck

Edited by mach1jonny, September 20, 2010 - 10:50 PM.
Clarification

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.