Big Guys

16 replies to this topic
  • 426_Pilot

Posted February 18, 2001 - 10:32 PM

After 15 years, I'm getting back into riding and take delivery of my '01 YZ426 on 2-20. I'm 6'2" and weigh 225 (which is one of the reasons why I went with the big machine). Does anyone have any particular advice or experience with being bigger than the average rider and if you are, what settings/set up advice do you have? Please include your ht/wt. I can't wait to go riding!

• MikeOK

Posted February 18, 2001 - 11:33 AM

Yo Pilot- I myself and also a big guy at 5'8' and from 200-210 lb's depending on the season... Anyway, I race and ride with the stock springs and I'm able to get the proper sag without squeezing the spring too much, but I think you and I are probably pushing the stock limits, especially the forks. You might want to look into putting the next heavier springs into the forks. I have a friend who races a 426 and he is about 240. He put all heavier springs in his and really liked the bike better. If I had the cash laying around I would do this too but for now stock is fine. The only things I have done to mine is put on a new chain, a new gripper seat cover and I have a new handlebar and mounts to put on it to replace the cheapo that comes on it. I can't remember where all the clickers are set but I can tell you that I spent a lot of practice runs dialing it in before all was well with the suspension. Good luck...

Mike

• 426_Pilot

Posted February 18, 2001 - 05:30 PM

Originally posted by MikeOK:
Yo Pilot- I myself and also a big guy at 5'8' and from 200-210 lb's depending on the season... Anyway, I race and ride with the stock springs and I'm able to get the proper sag without squeezing the spring too much, but I think you and I are probably pushing the stock limits, especially the forks. You might want to look into putting the next heavier springs into the forks. I have a friend who races a 426 and he is about 240. He put all heavier springs in his and really liked the bike better. If I had the cash laying around I would do this too but for now stock is fine. The only things I have done to mine is put on a new chain, a new gripper seat cover and I have a new handlebar and mounts to put on it to replace the cheapo that comes on it. I can't remember where all the clickers are set but I can tell you that I spent a lot of practice runs dialing it in before all was well with the suspension. Good luck...

Mike

• 426_Pilot

Posted February 18, 2001 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Your buddy @240 is one of the bigger guys I've ever heard of racing motorcycles. I hope he's competitive on this bike. From all I've read, the machine has plenty of power even for us fat asses!

Originally posted by 426 Pilot:

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 18, 2001 - 11:00 PM

I sound like the same as you. I'm 6'2" and weigh right around 220. I set the rear sag on my bike (99'400) myself and had a local shop install stiffer race tech springs in the forks. I'm not sure what the clickers are set at but I'll look for the paper work from the suspension work and let you know what the shop set them at. I haven't changed them but I'm very happy with the performance. I have much more confidence in the bike and it handles great on ALL of the jumps at my local track.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• MrMXer

Posted February 19, 2001 - 01:53 AM

I am 210 and run a .48 fork spring and a 6.0 shock spring. The 6.0 may be a bit much, but I wouldn't run anything less than a 5.8. If you are looking for set of springs, I may be able to hook you up.. just give me a shout.

------------------
HomePage www.eagle-racing.com

• MikeOK

Posted February 19, 2001 - 01:59 PM

Pilot- one other thing I forgot to mention. When mine was new I was bottoming the forks a little more than I wanted on big hits so the first time I changed my fork oil I went from 130mm (stock) to 100mm. They are just a little too stiff now so next time I plan to try maybe 110. 100 would probably be perfect for you...

• mxbundy

Posted February 20, 2001 - 10:12 PM

Originally posted by 426 Pilot:
Thanks for the info. Your buddy @240 is one of the bigger guys I've ever heard of racing motorcycles. I hope he's competitive on this bike. From all I've read, the machine has plenty of power even for us fat asses!

Hey 426pilot,
I`m 6'4" and 265# and I own a 99 400f and a 01 250F and I race in the VetA and 4stroke A in my local Grandprix and H/S series.
Dont let someones size(or maybe yourown) fool you into thinking they cant ride fast.When a new guy moved into my neighbor hood a while back I noticed he had a bike in his garage and I stoped to say high and to invite him to go riding. It took a few times to get him to go with me but when he finally went we had a blast. On the ride home he told me that he was amazed that someone so big could go so fast.The moral of the story is that your suspension is your life. Its the single most important componet on your bike and the first thing that any one above normal size ( 160# orso) should modify on a stock bike. Back in the 80`s when I first started racing I rode stock bikes and was just getting beat to death. Back then there just wasnt anyone modifying suspension like they do now.
On my bikes I run .49 fork springs and 6.2 shock springs and full revalve buy PRO-ACTION. With this set up I can run with anybody.
Everyone probably allready knows this but at RACETECH.COM the have a complete spring and valving data base that you can search and it will tell you what springs and valving is right for your weight, riding ability and type of riding you do.
The greater amont of control and confidence that having your suspension properly set up for your weightis well worth the exspense.
When I buy a new bike I just add the cost of getting the suspension modified to the bottom line as I consider it a nesisity.
That 426 is one hell of a machine,I think you will love it.
Later
mxbundy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigMike

Posted February 21, 2001 - 03:02 AM

MXBunDY bingo...
Dollar for dollar there is no better way to spend your money to make you go faster
than suspension tuned to a particular rider.
75% of the riders out there barely use their motors ouput to the max. Want to go fast, tune the suspension to the rider and ride. No doubt its the best money spent to improve your race performance.

• teamtoxic

Posted February 21, 2001 - 06:25 AM

I'm 6' and 205 lbs, the stock springs work great for me. The last I was at the track, I really dialed in my suspension for me. It handles excellent. I could still stiffen the suspension quite a bit more, so I think you at 225lbs should be able to stick with the stock equiptment.

When you get the bike, make sure you try it on the track. That's where you can REALLY tell if your suspension is going to work for you or not. The track is the best place to set up your suspension since you're using it the entire time you're riding.

------------------
Livin the life in Port Huron, MI. I'm 15 with a 426!
YZ 426's suck!(all the air they can get)
THROTTLE JOCKEY......because all golf courses should be motocross tracks!

• sleekfreak

Posted February 21, 2001 - 06:48 AM

I am 6'and 207-215 depending on season. I was wondering about the compressions and the preloads etc. The suspension seems to work fine but was wondering if you bigger folk left the settings stock or did you stiffen a little??? They seem to be decent I am still learning the bike but was just kind of wondering.

• okie426

Posted February 21, 2001 - 11:47 AM

426 pilot,

I weigh probably 230 and am 6'1", I tightened the rear spring to the max limit in the manual and tightened comp and rebound on the back. I set the front fork height to 3 3/4 inches and also tightened the comp a nd rebound on the forks. I have found the stock hardware perfect for cross country races and gp's. It is a little soft for motocross only races.

Hey I just raced the BSGP in Denton, Tx a couple of weeks ago. My buddy and I won the amateur buddy race. I ride a 00 426 and he rides a 98 yz 250. Did you make the race. There were tons of 426's there, the most I had seen at any single race. The 4 strokes got excellent traction on that muddy track.

Email me if you ever want to ride any cross country stuff.

okie 426

• flyinguitars

Posted February 21, 2001 - 12:46 PM

Hey 426pilot,
What do you fly? heavys? I used to fly charter with a 310 and a bonanza. Right now Im building an RV-6 in the basement. The 426 is just as much thrill but a lot cheaper than owning or renting a plane (unless you fly fighters). Wait to you feel it rip!!
Mike
oh yea im 6'4" 220lbs, stock settings have been fine other than stiffening up the rear shock preload (sag)

[This message has been edited by flyinguitars (edited 02-21-2001).]

• 426_Pilot

Posted February 21, 2001 - 04:43 PM

flyinguitars,

Flew F4's and KC-135's in the ANG and Fly MD-80's commercially. How long will it take to build the plane? Thanks all the big guys for the tips. I'm goin ridin' tomorrow and Saturday.

426 Pilot

• MrMXer

Posted February 22, 2001 - 02:38 AM

Hey Folks.. If you are 200+.. Installing stiffer springs front and rear will make the bike feel much plusher and increase stability. Springs are a cheap and easy modification to make. I am 210 and run a .48 front spring (.46 stock) and a 6.0 shock spring (5.4 stock). This keeps the bike further up in the stoke in a less progrerssive portion of the curve. You will be amazed at the differance the correct springs will make.. even with stock valving.

------------------
HomePage www.eagle-racing.com

• forloop

Posted February 22, 2001 - 07:59 AM

You may want to try this like below. Under bike settings, Yamaha, 2000 YZ426, Fork and Shock spring calculations. It is an excel spread sheet that you type in your weight and it gives you your spring settings.

http://www.gp-racing.com/

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

• 426_Pilot

Posted March 04, 2001 - 06:15 PM

I've got about 5 hours behind me now on the machine, and I must say that the settings from the factory have been ok. I've not tried anything else yet though. Next time out I will play with the clickers and see what happens. I love the bike so far!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.