I want a set of black wheels bad!

17 replies to this topic
  • jecole360

Posted September 19, 2010 - 05:41 PM

Anybody ever paint or powdercoat their wheels black? I really want a set of black wheels but don't have the money for them right now. I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to paint the silver excel wheels I have now.

• c_dasilva127

Posted September 19, 2010 - 06:29 PM

Paint will chip and look like ass. Powder coat will wear off eventually too. They need to anodized.

• zukboy789

Posted September 19, 2010 - 06:33 PM

Like said above, paint will chip. 2 black excels are 140 buck. I think that the best way to go.

• c_dasilva127

Posted September 19, 2010 - 06:40 PM

Like said above, paint will chip. 2 black excels are 140 buck. I think that the best way to go.

You mean one Excel is 140 bucks? Otherwise where are you getting this price from? It's $150 for a black 19" rear from Motosport.

• jecole360

Posted September 19, 2010 - 07:02 PM

How much does it cost to anodize them? Is it just cheaper to buy a new set?? I have a 15 month old son so I'm on a tight budget.

• c_dasilva127

Posted September 19, 2010 - 07:10 PM

I was looking into doing it to my stock Excels and I got a quote from a local company close to me and the guy said it would be 100 bucks for both rims. So your going to have to take both your wheels apart and if you've never laced a rim back up you could either learn to do it yourself or have a shop do it then you'll have to pay for labor which could probably be another couple hundred bucks for both wheels. I just ended up buying a set of DNAs for 500 shipped to my door. A lot of people say their junk but I think they're fine. I couldn't find spending 1500 bucks on an Excel wheel set logical, when that's worth more than the bike.

• c_dasilva127

Posted September 19, 2010 - 07:14 PM

*And if you take your wheels apart you might as well replace the spokes and nipples too. Just like when you replace sprockets, you replace both and the chain. So there's more money tacked on there too.

• Live 2 Ride

Posted September 19, 2010 - 07:19 PM

I have prowheels, But with the right prep work and paint i honestly think it will work.

I would dissassemble them to do it, Lacing isnt hard, Truing isnt hard just time consuming (Understatment).

• c_dasilva127

Posted September 19, 2010 - 07:45 PM

Paint is the weakest of them all. There's no electroplating involved to make it stronger. If your going to tear both of your wheels apart you might as well do it right the first time, regardless of how much prep time you do, you'll have to repaint them soon enough. If paint would work, why don't aftermarket wheel manufactures do it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Live 2 Ride

Posted September 19, 2010 - 07:53 PM

Paint is the weakest of them all. There's no electroplating involved to make it stronger. If your going to tear both of your wheels apart you might as well do it right the first time, regardless of how much prep time you do, you'll have to repaint them soon enough. If paint would work, why don't aftermarket wheel manufactures do it?

Colored rims period will get scratched and banged up and usually before you even get that first tire on.

I would stick with the silver and get some rim strips if you need color or diversity.

• Jim813

Posted September 19, 2010 - 07:58 PM

Have you looked into rim wraps or rim stickers? It may be worth looking into for a lower cost.

• c_dasilva127

Posted September 19, 2010 - 08:25 PM

Colored rims period will get scratched and banged up and usually before you even get that first tire on.

True, they will get scratched regardless. You just have to be careful putting tires on. I've put two sets of tires on my black wheels so far and I have very minimal scratching.

• Pincushion

Posted September 20, 2010 - 01:28 PM

Unless you know a really, really good anodizer then avoid that route. Here's what bad anodizing looks like on a KX250 I picked up earlier this year:
Posted Image

Cost me $50 to have my buddy who runs a powdercoating shop strip and fix them. Also had the clutch and magneto cover done too. Looks great.

Lacing and truing is not fun though

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Live 2 Ride

Posted September 20, 2010 - 01:36 PM

Unless you know a really, really good anodizer then avoid that route. Here's what bad anodizing looks like on a KX250 I picked up earlier this year:
Posted Image

Anno Fades. I Dont swear by powdercoating but its an option, Case guards get worn through quickly either way though.

• c_dasilva127

Posted September 20, 2010 - 01:40 PM

[

I was told buy the owner of the shop I spoke to that I would have had to clean the rims with polishing compound to get the Excel logos off and clean all dirt and tarnish off the rim. Maybe the ones on your bike didn't get enough prep work? because aftermarket wheel companies anodize their wheels and they turn out fine. But your powder coat came out good. Bike looks sweet :ride:

• jecole360

Posted September 20, 2010 - 03:27 PM

Hey pincushion can you give us an update on how they look after you ride with them for awhile. I'm not looking to do anything anytime soon, just checking my options and trying to get other opinions.

• Pincushion

Posted September 20, 2010 - 03:48 PM

I'm not going to ride it again. Just making it look pretty for the next owner.

I got it wth the crazy rims and dont know how they got that way.

• holker1

Posted September 21, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Anybody ever paint or powdercoat their wheels black? I really want a set of black wheels but don't have the money for them right now. I'm just wondering if it's a bad idea to paint the silver excel wheels I have now.

talk to rick with 4PR. he is super good with powder coating and really fair with price. he is located in IL. He has a fast turn around time.

http://www.4-prperformance.com/

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.