First Time At the Track on the 01

2 replies to this topic
  • forloop

Posted February 17, 2001 - 08:16 PM

Well I made it to Mills today. I had a great time. I can tell I had a great time because my entire body aches.

My intention was to take it pretty easy. Well I did for the first couple of laps. Then I started jumping the bike and WOW. It jumps great. It pounds the whoops. I did not even have to get on top of them. Just plow through them.

I am still struggling to pick the correct gear going into corners. The bike worked in 1st, 2nd or 3rd in most corners. The powerband is assume.

Exiting corners is a dream. My expert buddy said he had never seen be exit corners like that and made the comment that he thought I would be faster on this bike than my 99 KX250.

My absolute favorite part today was the long flat turn. I would enter the corner in second use the compression breaking then dirt track my way around it, too fun.

So, once I get back in shape and practise corner entry I should be rock'in.

Great first day for me! Oh, any tips on corner entry would be great.

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted February 18, 2001 - 03:52 PM

Hey forloop,

I go to mills road all the time (but $15 is kind of steep)! Mills is a real technical track with a lot of jumps (sort of a blend of SX)...I also have a 01' YZ426 and at most tracks I throw it into third and leave it there...but at mills some berms require 2nd gear (and I never use first except to take off) the big step up by the stand also requires 2nd (if you use 3rd you would probably land in the fence :) )

Here is a couple pics of me at Mills the first week I got my bike (the jump was the step up by the stands)!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Maybe I will see you at a track sometime...do you ride any other tracks around here?

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• forloop

Posted February 18, 2001 - 05:02 PM

Hi Garrett,

Cool Pictures!!

I ride and raced most of the local tracks. RIO, 290, Mills, Highlands, and Basdrop. I also rode conroe before they closed. I would love to ride with you. I need to follow someone around with a 426. My buddy has a 00 426 but he is a little behind me.

I did not do the finish line jump at Mills. I was not sure what gear to use and I do not trust my shoulder 100% yet. I was thinking go through the bern in 3rd and stay in that gear over the two tabble tops. I guess you go through in second and jump them.

I did practice by my house a little today. I was taking a tight turn in second. I found I was holding the front brake on too long. This was causing my front too push. With my KX250 I would use the front as a piviot. That doen't work on the YZF.

What do have your race sag set at? I need to set mine now that the suspension is getting broke in.

Let me know if you would like to ride some time. You can email me and I will send you my info.

Thanks,

Rick

------------------
Rick
01 YZ426F #85 Vet C

[This message has been edited by forloop (edited 02-18-2001).]

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.