best place to buy parts?

22 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2010 - 04:09 PM

I love it when people who have never owned or been involved with the operation of a small business pontificate about how a small business should operate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Captain

Posted September 27, 2010 - 07:02 PM

I love it when people who have never owned or been involved with the operation of a small business pontificate about how a small business should operate.

If your referring to me I've been a successful self employed small business owner for the last 8 years so......I love it when complete strangers make inaccurate assumptions about others knowledge based on a mere interweb forum post :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted September 27, 2010 - 07:58 PM

Not just you, but using the quote here posted as a basis...

Perhaps local stealerships should pull their head outta their ass and adjust their pricing accordingly so they can remain competitive with online stores?

...I see no evidence that you have any understanding of the problems. A dealership, even a relatively small one, or an independent retail shop will be located in a retail business zone, and will pay rent, leases, and/or property taxes on that inflated basis. The better the location, the more it will cost to be there. Then, as a retail business that has to allow the public on its premises in order to operate, there will be an outrageously high liability insurance bill to be paid to insulate the enterprise against a lawsuit brought by some jackass who pinched his finger when he knocked over a row of new motorcycles like so many dominoes. Then you need a big enough staff to keep the customer service at a level acceptable to walk-in traffic. All this had to be paid for with sales drawn from a local customer base.

OTOH, three people can easily run an online store from a run down low rent warehouse in an out of the way place and incur almost none of the above expenses (which are only a fraction of what must be borne) while selling to a nationwide base. At least one company named in this thread still operates that way, and more than one other one started out like that.

Of course there are businesses that try to squeeze every dime from every sale, but there are a lot of others who offer fair prices and would love to match the online stores dollar for dollar ( I shop at a couple of them). The truth is that in most cases, they just can't do it. They're entitled to at least some of the fruit of their labor, and as a businessman, I would think you'd understand that.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.