cotton swab stuck in oil drain bolt hole!

12 replies to this topic
  • mywifefarts

Posted September 18, 2010 - 04:31 PM

While I was changing the oil filter on my '07 yz450 I attempted to clean the debree from the threadsof the oil drain bolt hole with a cotton swab and the end of the swab broke off inside. I tried fishing it out with a piece of wire but ended up shoving it all the way through. What should I do now? I don't want it circulating through the oil system and plugging something up. if I pull the whole side of the case off will it be easy to find? Does that hole lead directly into the oil pump or straight into the case?

Edited by mywifefarts, September 18, 2010 - 06:06 PM.

• brentn

Posted September 18, 2010 - 05:37 PM

If this were two stroke in which there is no pump I would say don't worry about it. But with the oil passages being so small on these bikes I understand your concern.

You might want to use a thinner piece of wire that's stiff and try some more.

Sorry I cannot help you out any more, hopefully someone will chime in.

• Wyatt

Posted September 18, 2010 - 06:05 PM

Pull the right side case cover. Not that big of a deal to do, but you will have to replace your coolant as it will have to be drained. If you are lucky, you can even reuse the gasket. Once your done with all of that, smack yourself in the face for breaking it off in the first place.

• Wyatt

Posted September 18, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Oh yeah....Just remember where each case cover bolt goes. They are a couple different lengths and just put them back in just like you took them out.

• mywifefarts

Posted September 18, 2010 - 06:11 PM

Once your done with all of that, smack yourself in the face for breaking it off in the first place.

Waiting all week to ride this Sunday and not being able to at the last minute is better than a dozen smacks in the face!:ride:

• ronbuell

Posted September 18, 2010 - 06:16 PM

Pull the oil fill plug and use compressed air at 100 psi and blow that shard out of there!! You might have to stuff a rag around the hole where you put the air blow gun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2010 - 06:32 PM

The end of that hole comes out right in front of the clutch. You can blow all the air you want into the hole and you'll never move the piece a lick from where it is. The real danger in leaving it in is the risk of it running through one of the smaller gear sets like the oil pump drive and breaking it. Just pull the cover and fix the problem. (Drain the oil and coolant)

• brentn

Posted September 18, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Oh yeah....Just remember where each case cover bolt goes. They are a couple different lengths and just put them back in just like you took them out.

Neat little trick I learned was that you put the bolt in, if it sticks out about a cm (1/2 inch) then it's the right one. If it drops all the way in, or sticks out more than that, wrong bolt.

• Ryan426

Posted September 19, 2010 - 09:39 AM

no big deal pulling cover off. I did mine and I have no exp. working on these motors.

• kylerf150

Posted September 19, 2010 - 09:58 AM

try sucking it out with a shop vac

• mywifefarts

Posted September 19, 2010 - 10:25 AM

no big deal pulling cover off. I did mine and I have no exp. working on these motors.

My manual is confusing me. What all do I need to remove to pull the cover? Do I need to pull the water pump cover and remove anything, or is it as simple as just draining the oil and coolant and pulling the cover bolts?

• grayracer513

Posted September 19, 2010 - 12:12 PM

The only reason I pull the pump cover is because it's simpler than pulling the radiator hose and because I can then easily verify that the impeller tab gets re-engaged correctly.

• mywifefarts

Posted September 19, 2010 - 01:46 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I ended up pulling the cover with no problems.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.