2010 Skid plate question

7 replies to this topic
  • no air charlie

Posted September 18, 2010 - 11:26 AM

Back in 2006 I bought a new YZ 450 and put a works connection skid plate on it. The bike sounded horrible, to the point I thought something was wrong with it. Took the skid plate off and the bike was fine.

My question is does a skid plate have the same effect on the 2010's? I would like to have something to protect the front of the engine from rocks but not if it has the same sound effect as previous yamaha's.

Edited by no air charlie, September 18, 2010 - 03:32 PM.

• mikedabike

Posted September 18, 2010 - 01:07 PM

Carbon fiber skidplates are much quieter and dampen the noise better. The aluminum ones seem to amplify it. I don't know how the placement of the '10's exhaust will affect. I am sure someone with a '10 will chime in.

• grayracer513

Posted September 18, 2010 - 01:56 PM

The cure, or at least a partial cure, for the noisy '07 would have been to line the frame rails with some rubber from a bicycle tube where the skidder might touch it.

• no air charlie

Posted September 18, 2010 - 03:41 PM

I might try the carbon fiber one this time. The rubber strips are a good idea and something works connection should consider including, at least on the yamaha skid plates. I used a wc skid plate on my 08 Honda and did not notice much change in noise but personally would never buy another one for 06-09 YZ 450s.

Would still like to hear from any 2010 owners if this is still an issue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper36

Posted September 19, 2010 - 12:30 PM

I might try the carbon fiber one this time. The rubber strips are a good idea and something works connection should consider including, at least on the yamaha skid plates. I used a wc skid plate on my 08 Honda and did not notice much change in noise but personally would never buy another one for 06-09 YZ 450s.

Would still like to hear from any 2010 owners if this is still an issue.

I just put a WC skidplate on my 2010 and it doesnt sound any different. The one for the 2010 uses a rubber mounting system to reduce the noise. Seems nice but I may spring for a carbon fiber one later, they just look badass.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 20, 2010 - 06:36 AM

I also have the WC skid plate on mine (2010 450F) and it hasnt made a bit of noise. It comes wit a perferated like sponge that goes inbetween the plate and case.
Its purpose is to fill that empty space up so mud dont get caked up in that area. It also comes with two rubber grommets that go in the two holes where you put the allen head screws in. Two clamps that attach to the frame that the screws go in.

So when you put the grommets into the two holes on the skid plate it makes as a rubber spacer (if you will). Underneath the plate (at the back end) there is a hole for a bolt to go in which holds that end of the plte to the case of the bike.

Now on mine the skid plate touches the frame in the front and all along the bottom but I have never heard it make any abnormal sound to where I thought that something was wrong with my bike.

Its always sounded good and no abnormal sounds due to the plate.

• tech24

Posted September 20, 2010 - 06:40 AM

+1 WC Glide plate is absolutely quiet!

• fraser

Posted September 22, 2010 - 02:28 PM

Yep, the WC one does a great job. Bit fiddly getting the front mounts back on after you remove it but no sound problems

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.