When does a YZ450F need a top end or rebuild?

3 replies to this topic
  • smokingtz

Posted September 15, 2010 - 05:41 PM

I have an 03 YZ450F with about 100 hours on it and it just popped the head gasket. Otherwise it was still running fine. At this point what should I do to it to fix it? A local dealer told me to rebuild the whole motor but a friend says to replace the piston and rings, and keep riding it. It's ridden at a MX track by a vet rider. I've had it since new and have maintained it well. Thanks.

• Family Man

Posted September 15, 2010 - 06:51 PM

Rebuilding the whole motor is not a cost effective option for an 03. Piston rings and cam chain is a good option. if the valves are needing replacement you may want to just look for a new bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted September 15, 2010 - 07:36 PM

Rebuilding the whole motor is not a cost effective option for an 03. Piston rings and cam chain is a good option. if the valves are needing replacement you may want to just look for a new bike.

I usually scrap my bikes when the nubs wear off the tires.:ride: Nothing wrong with putting a few hundred in a good reliable bike you know the history off. Besides everything is probably still in spec but I would do the piston and rings since I was going to have it apart anyway.

• smokingtz

Posted September 16, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Thanks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.