Tie down effects on forks

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 10:58 PM

We secure our bikes using standard tiedowns hooked to the bars. I usually leave the tiedowns tight between rides. I have never noticed any ill effects on front suspension components as a result of this practice (weaker springs, seal leakage, etc). Anyone have any thoughts on this subject, not that I will change my ways mind you - too much work loosening and tighting all the time.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 11:32 AM

Try either a "fork saver" for $25
OR
a $.50 piece of 4x4 cut to length
put it between the fender and the tire b4 tying your bike down.
It will save your seals and the springs too!
G4

------------------
ride BLUE

• Tim

Posted February 16, 2001 - 11:55 AM

For short intervals, the tie downs should not have any negitive effects. In between rides, I would guess you are meaning during storage, I would loosen up the tie downs then. The springs will take a set after long periods of compression. How much, who knows. Enough to make a difference? Who knows. I would feel better if the springs were not compressed most of the time.

• PK

Posted February 18, 2001 - 07:32 AM

Something else that may help save your fork seals is to bleed off the pressure in your forks after you ride.

PK

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • G-Man

Posted February 19, 2001 - 03:03 PM

Hey Paul,
Yes I would listen to these guys, I do both
"a $.50 piece of 4x4 cut to length
put it between the fender and the tire b4 tying your bike down.
It will save your seals and the springs too!
G4"

and bleed the forks.

Unless of course you like changing fork seals for fun. :)

btw how did your day end up? My buddy Jim Conners was in your class, he got 2nd.

G

• teamtoxic

Posted February 19, 2001 - 06:43 PM

Buy a stand. When you transport your bike(s) put them on a stand and strap them down nice and tight. This will apply most of the pressure to the frame of the bike, and not the susension components. This is also a good idea for storage. When you're not riding it, put it on a stand. This will all help in keeping your suspension up.

A stand might be more expensive than the 4X4 method, but stands are super handy when working on your bike.
If you have the equiptment, you can always make your own stand. My Dad made a lift-stand for our bikes out of aluminum. Its very trick looking, lightweight and solid. Holds my 250lb 426 just fine!

Just my 2cents

------------------
Livin the life in Port Huron, MI. I'm 15 with a 426!
YZ 426's suck!(all the air they can get)
THROTTLE JOCKEY......because all golf courses should be motocross tracks!

• dirtdad

Posted February 20, 2001 - 03:49 AM

storing your bike on a stand for long periods also prevents the tires from settling!

• Bill

Posted February 20, 2001 - 05:12 PM

Paul,

If you use the 4x4, 2x4 or fork saver, you should use the ratcheting type tie downs. You can apply more pressure to the straps to make sure what's between the wheel and fender stays there.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.