CR8E vs CR8EIX vs CR9EIX

7 replies to this topic
  • ttr250dude

Posted September 13, 2010 - 08:41 PM

So from what ive read the iriduim plugs do in fact last longer than a standard plug and can sometimes help an engine start easier and whatnot. Since the 9 is a colder plug than the 8, will it help lower the engine temps at all? Maybe 5* or something? Ive also heard that it can improve low end hit a little and not foul plugs quite as easily. My main question is; Will i notice any difference in temps, stalling in low rpm 1st gear stuff, or better low end?

I understand that any improvements will be very minimal and nothing drastic, but i figure all little benefits can add up.

Thanks guys, bill804. :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2010 - 04:16 PM

If you run a 9 instead of an 8, what you will notice is that the plugs will foul more quickly, and any advantage you paid for with the iridium upgrade will be lost as a result. It has zero effect on performance.

The heat range of the plug is primarily important to the spark plug only. It needs to be hot enough to stay clean. If it's too hot, the first thing that happens is the plug becomes damaged. In extreme cases, the plug could become so hot that it becomes a source of ignition without a spark, causing pre-ignition, leading to detonation, and thereby higher engine temps very indirectly. Only in extreme cases.

Lowering the plug heat range one step will not make the engine run any cooler except that eventually it won't start. Then it will be cooler.

• ttr250dude

Posted September 14, 2010 - 08:40 PM

K. I already exchanged the CR9EIX for the CR8EIX. We dont stock the 8 for some reason so we had to order it.

• ttr250dude

Posted September 14, 2010 - 08:42 PM

I read that the iridium plugs help bottom end throttle response. Do u think that in turn will help my bike stall a little less?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 14, 2010 - 08:49 PM

Iridium plugs improve ignition reliability by offering less resistance to spark. This leads to easier starting, reduced tendency to foul, and reduced likelihood of a low speed misfire that could cause a stall. Because the iridium electrode is more resistant to erosion by combustion gases, they also last longer.

That's what they really do.

• ttr250dude

Posted September 26, 2010 - 09:35 PM

I put in a iriduim plug and i starts 2nd or 3rd kick every time now and low end throttle response is much better.

• brentn

Posted September 26, 2010 - 09:59 PM

I put in a iriduim plug and i starts 2nd or 3rd kick every time now and low end throttle response is much better.

It has zero effect on performance.

sigh.... Grey just explained this, read the quote!

• ttr250dude

Posted September 27, 2010 - 12:26 PM

sigh.... Grey just explained this, read the quote!

I read it, and i am saying my low end throttle response is better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.