The Best Chain Lube ?

12 replies to this topic
  • c_dawg1998yz400

Posted February 16, 2001 - 09:55 AM

What is the best chain lube that doesn't attrack dirt to your chain?

I'm currently running an o ring chain and i'm using maxima chain wax, i don't like it.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 10:33 PM

I use Bel Ray and it doesn't seem to attract much dirt.
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• dirtdad

Posted February 16, 2001 - 10:39 PM

Try Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube. It's claim is that it has an outer protective coating that will not attract dirt, sand or grit and is suitable for o-ring chains. I'm not a Bel-Ray salesman. I use it with good results. Just my opinion.

• sleekfreak

Posted February 16, 2001 - 10:43 PM

Just don't use Honda Street Lube. Sucks on dirt bikes. I got it for my street ride and it works good there but is horrorible for dirt.

• FOX426

Posted February 16, 2001 - 11:16 AM

Bel-Ray Superlube, the best without doubt. Spray it on at least 30 minutes before you ride and it sets up a nice film. Does not attract dirt or fling off. Best I've used yet

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 16, 2001 - 11:20 AM

Do you guys warm up your chains before you lube them?

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted February 16, 2001 - 02:44 PM

do any of you guys take your chain off and soak it in oil? (I use the oil left over from oil changes) this method has always worked great for me and I only really adjust my chain every 2-3 months...sometimes i get carried away and let it soak for 3-5 days! I use PJ1 lube works good and is only 5.95 a can and it is a BIG can! It works just as good as the others except it is cheap!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• overthebars_again

Posted February 17, 2001 - 03:17 AM

I use Bel-Ray Superlube. It rocks dude! I take my chain off and clean it up a bit then hang it up and spray it down. This takes a bit longer, but keeps your rear wheel/hub/sprocket clean...

otb_a

• benhit

Posted February 17, 2001 - 08:16 AM

Originally posted by c dawg1998yz400:

I'm currently running an o ring chain and i'm using maxima chain wax, i don't like it.

about a 2 years ago DIRTRIDER MAG. actually did a test on chain lubes. for o-ring chains the winner was, believe it or not, was WD-40! they specifically said stay away from chain lubes. they damage the o-rings. every since, i spray my chain before i ride or race, that is all i do. i have raced 11 enduros and harescrambles, plus ride 40 to 50 miles every weekend, the chain on my yz426 is just over a year old and looks nearly new. i will never buy chain lubes again!

• teamtoxic

Posted February 17, 2001 - 01:17 PM

Originally posted by c dawg1998yz400:

I've been using Maxima lately too. It sucks. I use the kind that comes in the spray can, you said you use a "wax." I don't know if that's the same thing or not. Anyways, using Maxima I often have 1/2 can left of lube but the pressure gets weaker and weaker until it won't even spray the lube anymore. What a waste!

EVERYONE, don't use Maxima unless you for some reason have had good luck with it or something.

------------------
Livin the life in Port Huron, MI. I'm 15 with a 426!
YZ 426's suck!(all the air they can get)
THROTTLE JOCKEY......because all golf courses should be motocross tracks!

• aftershock

Posted February 17, 2001 - 04:40 PM

WD-40 is all I use. It works great, keeps chain and sprockets clean. Spray before each day of riding.

• motoman393

Posted February 17, 2001 - 06:05 PM

WD-40 is a degreaser and removes the lube from the chain...which is not a good idea! I use to use WD40 about 4 yrs ago and always wondered why my chain wore out soooo quick and once I started using chain lube, I stopped buying chains, because they dont stretch anymore! Hope this helps! The makers of WD40 also make a lubricant I forgot what it is called but I have a can in my garage and it works great for chains!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• shu993

Posted February 17, 2001 - 08:09 PM

I use a product called White Lightening that I also use on my mountain bike. It is a dry lube that goes on wet and leaves a wax film on the chain. I always put it on the night before and lube every link. It will last a couple of rides. I swear by the stuff in dry conditions. I am in Az so I know it works well in dust. I don't think it works well in wet though. I know they also make a product called Race Day, you can put it on the day of your ride, but it attracts a little dust.

John

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.