help help help the dealrs dont know what is wrong starter...

8 replies to this topic
  • spomey

Posted September 13, 2010 - 03:31 PM

my 07 WR 450 starts easily when using the kick starter, however when the electric start is used I do not get spark.

the starter cut-off relay checks out
the starter cranks quickly and with authority
battery is full charge
checked all connections that I can see - look good
dang any ideas?

Posted September 14, 2010 - 06:15 AM

Are you sure there's no spark? The starter turns the engine much slower than the kickstarter. The ignition circuit is no different with or without estart. What year bike is this and does it have the stock wire harness or aftermarket (i.e - Baja Designs, etc)?

• miweber929

Posted September 14, 2010 - 10:59 AM

I'd be looking at things like the safety switches:

If there is a kickstand cut-off
Actual switch itself

If it fires kicking, but not electrically, I'd start there as it doesn't seem like its a motor or mechanical issue.

Try starting it with the clutch pulled in and see if that causes spark.

• spomey

Posted September 14, 2010 - 05:25 PM

with the plug removed the starter motor turns the engine over very quickly,

no spark using the e-starter only kick starting
I used both the kill button and the starter button neither allowed spark
the starter cut-off relay checks good.
the safety switches dont allow spark either
I tried with clutch in and out, in neutral and in gear
no kickstand switch

keep the ideas coming!!!! thanks all

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted September 15, 2010 - 04:57 AM

A weak battery will do what you are describing. Put a meter on the bike andn check it.

Posted September 15, 2010 - 07:34 AM

The one thing in the wiring diagram that is unique to the estart circuit is the blue\black wire that connects to the blue\white wire on the cdi itself. It is grounded by the cut-off relay but I'm not sure what it does. Obviously something to do with estart only since the cut-off relay is not active when you kickstart. Since you verified that the cut-off relay is working maybe a broken wire or a bad cdi?

• spomey

Posted September 23, 2010 - 04:43 AM

more info....the neutral switch, clutch switch check good, the larger diode checks good the smaller diode has been replaced with new (cant find a way to check it) the starter button works, used both starter and kill button (same in function and hook-up)...kick gives spark but battery/starter does not.
now I have jump started the system by crossing the starter terminals and got spark. I absolutely stink at wiring diagrams and get completely lost, can anybody help?

• spomey

Posted September 25, 2010 - 03:57 PM

got it!!!!!! It was the stator or the pickup coil. replaced them both as they are one unit and it works great!

I guess the lesson from this is, no matter how unthinkable it may be that the problem originates where you see some damage, even it it is very minor damage start looking there. I knew the pulse coil had a very minor nick in the plastic covering, on inspection even magnified there was no other damage. but the problem started after I hit the rock and broke my side cover and caused this minor nick in the sheathing.

Thank you for all your help it is truly appreciated! and kudos to PBDBLUE thank you especially for all your help!

Posted September 25, 2010 - 04:57 PM

You're very welcome. Glad you finally tracked it down. Definitely one for the books!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.