WR 426 Seat / Tank conversion

13 replies to this topic
  • mweitz

Posted September 12, 2010 - 06:38 PM

I've read a few threads on it, but I'm still confused on which ones to get for the YZ conversion for an '02 WR426F

Will this seat work? It is listed as:

YZF YZ YZ250F 250 400 426 STOCK SEAT 98 99 00 01 02

YZ Seat

Posted Image

Now which tanks work and what is a reasonable amount to pay for them? I prefer a stock Yamaha tank, and the stock size is fine for what I'll be doing.

Thanks,

Mark

• dustdogg

Posted September 12, 2010 - 07:50 PM

The conversion is nothing more than using a YZ seat from 98-02 along with the YZ tank. On my 02' I went with the complete seat from SDG and then ordered the Clarke 3.3 gal. tank for the YZ 426. It has almost the exact same capacity as the stock WR tank but since it allows you to use the YZ tank you are actually able to sit up farther on the bike and get it to turn. I am very happy I put the YZ tank/seat on my bike. I'm not sure what the going rate is these days, but I ordered mine directly from Clarke on there web site. Here is a pic of what it looks like.

Posted Image

• mweitz

Posted September 12, 2010 - 08:22 PM

Thanks,

I do like the clear tank, but was afraid the 3.3 would give some of the same problems as the WR tank does, but I see that tank is lower, which also gives you a lower CG I assume (a little bit).

Looks like the Clarke natural 3.3 is 200.00. Maybe I'll put that on my Christmas list.

So I should be good to go with the seat, thanks!

Mark

• Birdy426

Posted September 13, 2010 - 09:46 PM

Keep an eye out on e-Bay for tanks as well...I picked up one for my son's wr250 for 50 bux...

• matt4x4

Posted September 14, 2010 - 10:51 AM

I got a YZ tank and seat for 25 total off fleabay...
that seat looks right.

• mweitz

Posted September 15, 2010 - 10:49 AM

I got a YZ tank and seat for 25 total off fleabay...
that seat looks right.

That's a good deal.

I got that seat for 51.00 delivered and I just got what looks to be an IMS 3.3 gallon blue tank for exactly the same price.

I'll post up some pics of the WR when I get it finished, it just got a complete tear down and clean up.

Mark

• mweitz

Posted September 23, 2010 - 01:36 PM

Argh, the IMS oversize tank doesn't work with the Unabiker Radiator Guards.

Any other options for Rad guards aside from Devol?

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by mweitz, September 25, 2010 - 08:37 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pooley

Posted September 25, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Argh, the IMS oversize tank doesn't work with the Unibiker Radiator Guards.

Any other options for Rad guards aside from Devol?

Thanks,

Mark

I have the exact same problem, and it is even worse if you have Fluidyne radiators as they are thicker. You CAN slightly massage the right side rad guard with a hammer if you really have to, to make it sorta fit. I did this but it still puts pressure on the tank, and also on the seat and shrouds. I will be changing from the Unabikers to something else come spring. Sucks though as I like the Unabiker design.

• mweitz

Posted September 25, 2010 - 08:36 PM

I have the exact same problem, and it is even worse if you have Fluidyne radiators as they are thicker. You CAN slightly massage the right side rad guard with a hammer if you really have to, to make it sorta fit. I did this but it still puts pressure on the tank, and also on the seat and shrouds. I will be changing from the Unabikers to something else come spring. Sucks though as I like the Unabiker design.

Hmmm, not sure if it is worth it, but I'll look again tomorrow.

What were you going to use instead? I tried it on my other 426 with Devol's and that just slipped right on, but I think the Unabiker are a better guard.

I wish Mohard made one for the 426. They are sort of a pain to deal with, but he does make a quality product.

Mark

• Pooley

Posted September 27, 2010 - 12:02 PM

I haven't decided on a replacement for the Unabikers yet, but maybe Works Connection. I need to look at the design to see if I think it will fit.

I had Devol and Flatland Racing guards but both allowed the rads to get bent backwards (especially the bottom) and/or damaged from side impact.

• mweitz

Posted September 27, 2010 - 01:07 PM

I haven't decided on a replacement for the Unabikers yet, but maybe Works Connection. I need to look at the design to see if I think it will fit.

I had Devol and Flatland Racing guards but both allowed the rads to get bent backwards (especially the bottom) and/or damaged from side impact.

I had both happen with my Devols, but I ordered another set last night just to have something. At least they kept my coolant in the system so I could finish the race and not need to get a tow, which ultimately is the objective.

Mark

• bcaz808

Posted September 27, 2010 - 10:58 PM

Do yz and yzf plastics both fit because I notice a lot of people saying yz instead of yzf.

• matt4x4

Posted September 29, 2010 - 04:30 AM

No, when people say YZ - they are just being lazy - only YZxxxF plastics fit except front fender and possibly rear fender - you can pretty much make anything fit when it comes to fenders.

• bcaz808

Posted October 01, 2010 - 10:41 PM

Okay that's what I thought, I just wanted to make sure, thanks for the reply.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.