09 YZ450F Won't start - kickstart wont move!! HELP!

14 replies to this topic
  • Bailey7

Posted September 11, 2010 - 03:51 PM

I just got the bike last week, changed oil/filter and air filter everything was good. Took the bike out today to a pit where the sand is pretty fine. Ran perfect all day (2-3hrs) then last ride of the day the bike just shut off. Kickstart wouldnt move, I kicked very hard and it went all the way down but sounded like a knocking the motor so i never tried again. I was driving the bike a little hard, and also jumping it. Just read then on another thread that the breather hose is in a bad place. Any suggestions on what is wrong with the bike and what steps i should take, im going out now to look at my oil filter to check for metal particles. I will probably take as much as the motor apart if i need too and hopefully not have to bring it to a mechanic. PLEASE HELP! Any suggestions ?

• Mick T

Posted September 11, 2010 - 04:09 PM

Anytime an engine locks you need to pull it apart and see what went wrong.

Don't try and start it again you could just end up doing a lot more damage.

• Bailey7

Posted September 11, 2010 - 05:11 PM

yah i am not kicking it at all, just once or twice when it first happened, it the kickstart would go down but i would literally have to kick it as hard as i could so i stopped. i hauled the plug out and still the same thing, i checked the oil filter and it was full of little bits of sand, and some little tiny tiny metal shavings. so i should start taking apart the motor ?

• Mick T

Posted September 11, 2010 - 08:10 PM

Download the service manual from http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

When you pull the engine down make sure you label all the valve components so they can go back to the same place if they aren't damaged. If you haven't worked on engines before take lots of pictures before you pull each part.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 12, 2010 - 10:30 AM

Cam chain skipped teeth, out of time...Betcha.

• BBrown626

Posted September 12, 2010 - 01:02 PM

take it apart. all you can do is speculate until you tear it down and have a look.

• Bailey7

Posted September 12, 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thanks!, I'm going to tear it down tonight or tomorrow. Wishing it is nothing major!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ChompersNZ

Posted September 13, 2010 - 02:07 AM

Cam chain skipped teeth, out of time...Betcha.

Hi, a friend had this problem, the bike was rebuilt with new cam chain and tensioner and about a mile into its first ride we think its gone it again. Is it a real common thing for the 450's? And is there a cure?

Paul

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2010 - 07:23 AM

No, it's just that it's almost the only thing that ever goes wrong.

If the bike was just rebuilt, my money is on the cam caps having been torqued wrong, or a bad oil pump that wasn't corrected first time through.

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 13, 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi, a friend had this problem, the bike was rebuilt with new cam chain and tensioner and about a mile into its first ride we think its gone it again. Is it a real common thing for the 450's? And is there a cure?

Exactly what GR said...No, I don't think that would be the issue with a new rebuild...It's a common problem because most people don't replace the cam chain soon enough, and it stretches easily just like a stock drive chain would...I also suspect that the cam chain tensioner has a really cheap spring inside of it, and that after a few super hot heat cycles it looses it's "springyness", kind of like what happens to clutch springs after a while (kind of bad example since they are 100 times beefier, but you get my point)...
This problem happened to me with only about 20 hours on my 07, but since the tensioner and chain have been replaced ALL has been fine (although it's been 60+ hours on it since then, so it's time to do it again)...

• Bailey7

Posted September 13, 2010 - 12:50 PM

Alright so when I took my carb off last night and looked in at the intake valves, center and the right look fine but could be bent from what i can see, the left valve stem cracked right off with a peice of the valve sticking up next to it, i should take a picture when i go to haul the motor apart :ride:
It is possible that it was the timing chain since there is probably about 15 hrs maybe less on the bike since the last full (bottom to top rebuild),
Im hoping i just need new valves and piston.

• Subby

Posted September 25, 2010 - 10:14 AM

Goose,
Where do you get your chains/tensioners and about how much?

Thanks,
Subby

• Aka.Goose

Posted September 25, 2010 - 11:29 AM

Goose,
Where do you get your chains/tensioners and about how much?

Thanks,
Subby

Just replaced it with stock, and haven't had another issue with it...:ride:

• Aka.Goose

Posted October 04, 2010 - 01:41 PM

Alright so when I took my carb off last night and looked in at the intake valves, center and the right look fine but could be bent from what i can see, the left valve stem cracked right off with a peice of the valve sticking up next to it, i should take a picture when i go to haul the motor apart :smirk:
It is possible that it was the timing chain since there is probably about 15 hrs maybe less on the bike since the last full (bottom to top rebuild),
Im hoping i just need new valves and piston.

Hey Bailey, just checking to see if there's any updates...
How's it going?

• todds924

Posted October 09, 2010 - 07:38 PM

I've seen 2 yz's...an 06 and an 08 that the sprocket actually slipped on the cam....weird. With all timing marks lined up proper, intake cam lobes were pointing almost straight up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.