crank case breather tube

2 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted September 11, 2010 - 10:24 AM

On my 2010 450 the crankcase breather tube comes out of the valve cover and routes to the lower left side of the bike. I was checking the line and noticed that it is completely unfiltered!!!

Is this for real? If you went through a water crossing on this thing, or were riding in dusty conditions it would go right up and in there wouldn't it?
The tube is rather bike, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch inner diameter, making dirt and dust easy to fly up in there.

Think Im going to have to rig something up, unless someone tells me otherwise

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brentn

Posted September 11, 2010 - 10:55 AM

Found a great thread on this issue here;

Grey you explained it well. I guess the tube has positive and negative pressure going through it both ways all the time. Water, dust and dirt will not be drawn in through a longer hose because it will probably go about halfway out and then be pushed right back out by positive pressure.

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2010 - 04:35 PM

The only danger is if the tube is submerged in water or very fine sand as the engine is stalled or cranked. At very low speeds, there is actually time for the breather to pull something in during the piston upstroke.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.