What would you do in my situation?

Hi all, I am currently riding an 07 YZ450, and do all of it in the woods.

I have made the usual mods like skidplate, handguards, radiator guards, side stand and spark arrestor. As well as O-ring chain and changed gearing to 13-52.

My problem is I have the 2T bug again and am not sure if I should keep my YZ or go the 2T route. If I keep it, what else should I do to make it a more capable trail machine? I was thinking about a heavier flywheel or maybe a Rekluse clutch, but rather not have to spend a lot more cash if possible.

The suspension is already set up as well, so I won't need that done.

My current complaint is that in really tight areas the motor sounds like the valves clatter at slow speeds, and I am afraid it may damage the top end.

The 2T I am considering is a 2008 KTM 300 XC-W. My friend has an '04 and I really like riding it once in a while. The 2008 is set up with all the same stuff as I have now except the suspension needs the correct springs for me.

What should I do?

I'm riding my 2010 450 in the woods right now and it's amazing!!! There is more power throughout the entire RPM range in comparison to my yz250.

I don't know why people say you have to have a heavier flywheel, I get along just fine with my stock one. Stalling is not an issue if you know how to work a clutch.

I'm riding my 2010 450 in the woods right now and it's amazing!!! There is more power throughout the entire RPM range in comparison to my yz250.

I don't know why people say you have to have a heavier flywheel, I get along just fine with my stock one. Stalling is not an issue if you know how to work a clutch.

Some of us prefer not to slip the clutch... just personal preference.

If you want to do woods riding I think it's essential to do...

Not with a FWW and the right gearing... most of the time.

On my 426 I had it geared down to 13/52 and no FWW and it was great in the woods. This 06 is a different critter, I have 12/49 gearing and a FWW and still need to lower the gearing further. I'm not a big clutch slipper, but I do it occasionally. Most of the time I click down a gear if I'm in a situation that I would need to slip the clutch. Maybe you are riding more technical stuff than me that requires you to slip?

Or some just need to turn the handle on the right a little more and bam no more stalling issues!

Not with a FWW and the right gearing... most of the time.

On my 426 I had it geared down to 13/52 and no FWW and it was great in the woods. This 06 is a different critter, I have 12/49 gearing and a FWW and still need to lower the gearing further. I'm not a big clutch slipper, but I do it occasionally. Most of the time I click down a gear if I'm in a situation that I would need to slip the clutch. Maybe you are riding more technical stuff than me that requires you to slip?

Yes maybe,

For example if I get stuck on an incline or start to slow down, I hold the clutch just to the grabbing point and play with it there while giving it some revs.

There are also times where I come to alot of roots, logs and pot holes in which the course has many S curves in it. It's at this point that I'm doing about 1mph slipping the clutch alternating my right and left footing heavily and slipping the clutch to keep the bike alive.

There are alot of open areas where I ride as well, in which of course very little clutch use, just a one second pull to change gears and no slipping.

My 250 has a grabby clutch, the plates are slightly warped. This causes the bike to stall ALOT because it's constantly grabbing. If you don't keep the rpm's up even with the clutch fully disengaged it will stall.

I've only rode one 450, so really I am inexperienced completely with different models and how they behave when you ride technical woods.