Fuel Injected WRs?

16 replies to this topic
  • masterraptor

Posted September 09, 2010 - 08:35 PM

Why is Yamaha putting FI in the YZs but not the WRs? Been waiting.

Also, did Yamaha not make a 2010 WR450F in the US? Whats up with that?

• gsa102

Posted September 10, 2010 - 04:35 AM

From the ride reports for the FI YZs, it sounds to me like that FI needs to be refined some more for on woods bikes. It needs to be smoothed out, and you take away fuel capacity with the fuel pump. Of course, the woods pros are riding modified YZs, but they are on a different level than most of us.

• tribalbc

Posted September 10, 2010 - 05:48 AM

From the ride reports for the FI YZs, it sounds to me like that FI needs to be refined some more for on woods bikes. It needs to be smoothed out, and you take away fuel capacity with the fuel pump. Of course, the woods pros are riding modified YZs, but they are on a different level than most of us.

Actually pretty much all the pro's are running modified WR's this year due to the issues with power delivery from the FI.
Myself I'd rather stick with a carb. Simple to fix for issues deep in the bush.
It's not like jetting is that hard to mess with, but start having troubles with your FI :ride:

• PBDBLUE

Posted September 10, 2010 - 05:52 AM

No '10 bikes because the economy is in the tank and bike sales are very slow. Lot's of 09's left over. Honda did the same. Looks like there will be an '11 model but no changes from '07 to present. Frankly I doubt they will migrate the WR to the new YZ platform as it's really not well suited to be an off road bike and I suspect FI is still at least a year or two out.

• HighRevz

Posted September 10, 2010 - 05:54 AM

Actually pretty much all the pro's are running modified WR's this year due to the issues with power delivery from the FI.
Myself I'd rather stick with a carb. Simple to fix for issues deep in the bush.
It's not like jetting is that hard to mess with, but start having troubles with your FI :ride:

+1:thumbsup:
I agree and its not because that's what I own and defending it either.......If I must go to ktm with their carbs in the future, then so be it!

• Bandit9

Posted September 10, 2010 - 06:11 AM

I used to be craving the FI b/c I ride all over the place. I'm in Louisiana, Ark, Miss, TX, OK, and lately the Rocky Mountains a bunch. I have to say that my jetting works fine going from sea level to 11,000 ft. I was amazed. It has a little stumble at WFO in 4th and 5th gear in the Moutains, but that is only on dirt roads with me pretending to be in Baja. On the trail she works great. I could dial that stumble out, but I'm rarely WFO in those situations and it has no effect on my riding. So I don't worry. The FCR is a good carb once it gets dialed in. I have no special add on gadgets. Just the fuel screw. I'm still sort of dumbfounded as how this is possible, but it works great. I'm will be racing in Laurel, Ms on Sunday, then Cloudcroft, NM on Oct 3rd. All I do is adjust the fuel screw.

FI isn't needed. Go grab a great deal, jet it up, then ride that sucker. My 06 has turned out to be a fantastic bike. Really handles well in the tight twisties compared to most 450's.

• tribalbc

Posted September 10, 2010 - 07:16 AM

I used to be craving the FI b/c I ride all over the place. I'm in Louisiana, Ark, Miss, TX, OK, and lately the Rocky Mountains a bunch. I have to say that my jetting works fine going from sea level to 11,000 ft. I was amazed. It has a little stumble at WFO in 4th and 5th gear in the Moutains, but that is only on dirt roads with me pretending to be in Baja. On the trail she works great. I could dial that stumble out, but I'm rarely WFO in those situations and it has no effect on my riding. So I don't worry. The FCR is a good carb once it gets dialed in. I have no special add on gadgets. Just the fuel screw. I'm still sort of dumbfounded as how this is possible, but it works great. I'm will be racing in Laurel, Ms on Sunday, then Cloudcroft, NM on Oct 3rd. All I do is adjust the fuel screw.

FI isn't needed. Go grab a great deal, jet it up, then ride that sucker. My 06 has turned out to be a fantastic bike. Really handles well in the tight twisties compared to most 450's.

Exactly. I ride 0-9,000ft with my carb settings that are really jetted for around 2000ft. At 6,500ft to 9,000ft I'll loose some top end pull on the big hills, throttle response isn't quite as crisp, and you get a bit of rich popping on decel, but very livable.
And if I was to ride at that altitude for any extended time (more than a day) it's an easy half hour to swap out the jetting.

I know when it comes time for a new bike I'll be looking for one with a carb :ride:

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 12, 2010 - 11:27 AM

+1:thumbsup:
I agree and its not because that's what I own and defending it either.......If I must go to ktm with their carbs in the future, then so be it!

KTM is going to FI too. I think they're using husaberg as a guinea pig for the woods bikes settings. I've ridden a husaberg with FI. The throttle response was perfect.

For my next bike, I'm looking for FI (and a plate). When done correctly, I think FI is far superior to a carb in everyday usability.:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gsa102

Posted September 12, 2010 - 06:13 PM

Team Yamaha is running:

Barry Hawk - WR450F
Paul Whibley - YZ450F
Charlie Mullins - YZ450F

I have a 1982 Turbo Street bike with FI, and the throttle response is really good, except it is kind of harsh off idle. I read the exact same thing about the FI YZFs. It could make it tougher in a rock garden, or through a mud hole, anywhere you are trying to modulate the throttle at really low settings.

Edited by gsa102, September 12, 2010 - 06:14 PM.
spelling

• wartsnuff

Posted September 13, 2010 - 09:45 AM

wow,

i would dump the carb in a second....

maybe they are still a couple of years away from getting it right..

but there is no way in the bush you are going to work on alum framed WR carb.. at least i wouldn't

and FI has proven itself... i am not saying it makes more power.. but the drivablility is what i am after.

my 02 cents

cheers
Warts

• masterraptor

Posted September 14, 2010 - 07:37 AM

That carb is a pain to get to now, even in the garage.

• GCannon

Posted September 14, 2010 - 12:44 PM

No '10 bikes because the economy is in the tank and bike sales are very slow. Lot's of 09's left over. Honda did the same. Looks like there will be an '11 model but no changes from '07 to present. Frankly I doubt they will migrate the WR to the new YZ platform as it's really not well suited to be an off road bike and I suspect FI is still at least a year or two out.

I agree!

When you think about what engineering is required to turn the 10 YZ into a WR it becomes a completely new motorcycle which is most likley the delay at this point based on current economic conditions.

Think of the differences between the the new YZ and a new WR new starter system, battery location, exhaust system, intake system modified to reduce water ingestion, all new electrical system, new FI settings, new Ignition settings, new fuel tank. just to name a few. not to mention new emissions regulations.

It will come but not right away.:ride:

• Col Psoas

Posted September 14, 2010 - 07:38 PM

I would be all over proper working FI but as it is I know how to work on my carb and have approx ZERO problems with it.

As for no 2010 bike I heard it was because they ran out of ideas for BNG :ride:

• YamaLink

Posted September 14, 2010 - 07:50 PM

I thought when the RMX450 came out it would shove Yamaha into doing something. Anything......nope.

• Rocker01

Posted September 14, 2010 - 07:51 PM

How could fuel injection not be proven yet? Even Harleys have had fuel injection for years now.....and they haven't even figured out how to make a liquid cooled motor yet. Liquid cooling has been around since the 30's or earlier so that's saying something.

Cars have had proven FI systems for almost 30 years now. How is that not proven? This is not some new invention that needs to be tested and proven.

• Summit

Posted September 15, 2010 - 04:59 AM

FI would be nice I guess, but it seems like once you get these four strokes jetted right initially, that's it, they run great and you never have to touch them again.

• masterraptor

Posted September 17, 2010 - 10:13 PM

Yep, those flat slide FCRs are a tough act to follow, now that I think about it. Love 'em.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.