Scotts damper height question.

12 replies to this topic
  • kingzero

Posted September 08, 2010 - 06:57 PM

I am looking into buying a Scotts damper for my 06 450. I want the standard bolt on application(over the bar clamp) but I currently have Sunline 1 1/8" bars with a cross bar and am unsure if the unit will fit under the cross bar.

If some one reads this with a similar year bike and set up, I would appreciate it if you would post the measurement from the bottom of the top bar clamp to the tallest point on the damper.

I searched this site and Scotts Performance but they dont provide any demensions.

• Family Man

Posted September 08, 2010 - 08:23 PM

the sub mount, bottom of numer plate is a killer location. the top mount interferes with your safety/ bar pad.

• grayracer513

Posted September 08, 2010 - 09:36 PM

Mine's an older unit, but it measures 1.025" higher than the bar mount at the top cover, plus another half inch for the knobs.

• tech24

Posted September 09, 2010 - 05:17 AM

I believe you have to bend the cross bar up for clearance. I switched to pro tapers instead. The top mount does require removing the bar pad but on bars with no crossbar I have seen some guys cut out some of the pad and fit it around the damper and if done carefully it looks nice.

• kingzero

Posted September 09, 2010 - 04:52 PM

I believe you have to bend the cross bar up for clearance. I switched to pro tapers instead. The top mount does require removing the bar pad but on bars with no crossbar I have seen some guys cut out some of the pad and fit it around the damper and if done carefully it looks nice.

Yeah, I didn't think it would fit. Too bad cause I really like the Sunline bars. I thought about the sub mount(under the bars) but with the CR high bends it would be too high. So it looks like new bars no matter what.

The low mount, down by the number plate looks like it would be a pain to adjust on the fly.

• Smokeslider

Posted September 09, 2010 - 07:05 PM

Try the sub mount and throw your CR High bars on, you might be surprised how you like them. If you don't, then you could buy new bars..... might save you the purchase of new bars. Chad

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tech24

Posted September 10, 2010 - 03:48 AM

Yeah, I didn't think it would fit. Too bad cause I really like the Sunline bars. I thought about the sub mount(under the bars) but with the CR high bends it would be too high. So it looks like new bars no matter what.

The low mount, down by the number plate looks like it would be a pain to adjust on the fly.

I don't think it needs bent much but you would have to cut the cross bar pad if you want to keep it. Might look a little goofy. The low mount does look like a pain to install and adjust plus looks pretty crappy imo. I guess you could always remove the cross bar if its removable. I went with top mount cause I got pc triple clamps if it wasn't for that I probably would've got submount.

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted September 10, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Kingzero-
I can not stress enough NOT to remove your crossbar at the risk of your own life. The only bar I know of that hass a trully removable crossbar is the Renthall Twinwall bar.

Give me a call at 818-248-6747 and I can go over all your options.
Thanks-
Eric

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2010 - 11:53 AM

Kingzero-
I can not stress enough NOT to remove your crossbar at the risk of your own life. The only bar I know of that hass a trully removable crossbar is the Renthall Twinwall bar.

Make the assumption that all bars that have a cross bar need the cross bar in order to be minimally strong enough to survive NORMAL use. Removing it, even on the Twin Walls, will weaken the bar, and as a result, they may fail at a very inconvenient time.

Likewise, bending the cross bar can only weaken it. I don't advise either one.

• Family Man

Posted September 10, 2010 - 09:13 PM

I dont see how ajusting the unit with the sub mount is any harder than taking off your bar pad, oh its actually seems easier. ?yeah dont take your bar pad off or your cross bar or bend or modifie your bars. Not smart to say the least.

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2010 - 07:52 AM

I dont see how ajusting the unit with the sub mount is any harder than taking off your bar pad, oh its actually seems easier. ?

When they said it was hard to adjust on the fly, they were talking about the low mount that mounts on the lower triple clamp, right over the front fender, not the SUB mount.

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted September 13, 2010 - 09:14 AM

According to Renthal, the Twin Wall bar is still stronger without the crossbar than a regular Fatbar.
Thanks-
Eric

• Eric@ScottsPerformance

Posted September 13, 2010 - 09:23 AM

http://www.scottsonl...otos2/755lg.jpg

This a Picture of Kiedrowski's RMZ 450 with Twinwall bars and the damper mounted in reverse position to clear the cross bar. All I did to install was trim the bottom side of the bar pad with a razor blade. Unfortunately I can not remember which bend of bar he was running at the time.
Thanks-
Eric

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.