Water Pump Life

4 replies to this topic
  • wondermuscle

Posted September 07, 2010 - 06:57 AM

My water pump failed after only 40hrs on my 2008, specifically the water seal. I'm replacing the shaft, both seals and the bearing. I have messed around with cleaning up shafts and re-using them. I'd rather spend the $30 on a new shaft and not have to worry about it.

Just out of curiosity, how long have your water pumps lasted?

• tribalbc

Posted September 07, 2010 - 07:20 AM

Mine went at around 200hrs. First I just did the seals and felt like a dummy when seeing what my shaft looked like, but I didn't have the parts, so I threw it together to see how it went. It didn't leak for 100hrs untill last winters rebuild when I replaced seals, bearing and shaft. I now have over 150hrs on my replacement and all is good. Will see how it looks when I rebuild the motor this winter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redhurricane

Posted September 07, 2010 - 08:18 AM

4 years and still no leaks on my 2006.

Question to those that are having failures-

Are you running spec coolant? Water wetter, engine ice, etc may not have the same lubrication properties as the recommended coolant.

• wondermuscle

Posted September 07, 2010 - 09:54 AM

I run the pink Maxima stuff. I have boiled over my bike a few times recently and I think it just got too hot and damaged the seals.

Anyother thoughts?

• tribalbc

Posted September 07, 2010 - 10:47 AM

I run the pink Maxima stuff. I have boiled over my bike a few times recently and I think it just got too hot and damaged the seals.

Anyother thoughts?

I also use the pink Maxima stuff, well the Kool aide additive added to regular antifreeze/water.
I boil my bike over regularly :ride:

But when I replaced mine the shaft was very obviously worn so I don't think it's boiling and seals????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.