Splitting the cases for the 1st time, any advice?

8 replies to this topic
  • 04WR450man

Posted September 07, 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hi everyone,
My 04 WR lost 5th gear so I am going to be stripping, inspecting and replacing any worn parts.
I have done top ends etc before but never split the cases or touched the gears etc, has anyone got any advice before I start?

Many thanks :bonk:

Trev

• William1

Posted September 07, 2010 - 02:57 AM

Read the service manual - Several times
Use the correct spliter and other tools
Do not pry on the cases, ditto for hammering
Have a clean work environment
Be organized
Take your time.

• SoCA_DRZ

Posted September 07, 2010 - 07:44 AM

The first time I split cases, I took lots of pics of the assembled engine, and at several stages during the disassembly. It was really helpful a few weeks later when I was putting it back together to be able to look at a picture if I was unsure about how or where something went. And definitely get a manual if you don't have one.

• bulldog1331

Posted September 07, 2010 - 06:03 PM

After the manual, pictures are definitely the way to go. Years ago, I used polaroids...it's even easier with a digital camera. I think the best advice here so far is Williams1 with "take your time".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 04WR450man

Posted September 07, 2010 - 11:40 PM

Many thanks,

I have the manual, I will read it over and over and take lots of pics...................Hopefully be back on the dirt soon :ride:

• dazzabb

Posted September 08, 2010 - 12:41 AM

I have just had the cases split last weekend because I too lost 5 th gear, in fact this is the 3rd WR of our group that has lost 5th! So far they all had the same cure:

You will likely need new part numbers:

5TJ-1751-00 25 Tooth 5th gear Pinion
5TJ-17131-00 16 Tooth 3rd gear Pinion
5BE-18502-10 Centre Shift Fork

On all 3 I have seen the 5 gear shift fork gets worn by the 5th gear pinion. The wear is actually on the side of the shift fork. The 5t gear pinion is worn by the dogs on the 3rd gear pinion which once worn will not engage properly.

Putting the selector drum back in will almost certainly need 2 people as you need to hold all the gearbox assembly together including the selector forks, shafts, cogs etc to make sure it all mates with the cases. It is very fiddly.

Hi everyone,
My 04 WR lost 5th gear so I am going to be stripping, inspecting and replacing any worn parts.
I have done top ends etc before but never split the cases or touched the gears etc, has anyone got any advice before I start?

Many thanks :ride:

Trev

• wondermuscle

Posted September 08, 2010 - 06:32 AM

The first time I split the cases (2002 on an 01) I missed a case bolt. I didn't remove it because I didn't see it and tried to split the cases. Needless to say it didn't take me long to figure that something was wrong, but not before I broke off all the tabs used to pry the cases apart. Let just chaulk it up to youth and haste. I'm now nearly a decade older and a bit wiser.

Don't be surprised when you find more that need to be replace than you expected.

Use a few large rubber bands to keep the gear cluster together.

Put everything in labels ziplock bags or have some method to keep track of everything.

Bottom lines.........

NO beer untill you put the tools down.

TAKE YOUR TIME!

• matt4x4

Posted September 09, 2010 - 05:35 AM

and remember that hot and cold are your friends...they will allow you to skip buying 99% of the "specialty" tools...

NO beer untill you put the tools down.

yeah - right! (detect sarcasm here)

• Charlie755

Posted September 11, 2010 - 03:38 AM

Read the service manual - Several times
Use the correct spliter and other tools
Do not pry on the cases, ditto for hammering
Have a clean work environment
Be organized
Take your time.

Unless you have a good plastic hammer. I can usually just hold the case up to my chest and pull the case halves apart but sometimes I have to coax it with a plastic hammer to the case halves to get it started. Just FYI.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.