2010 break in manual confusion

6 replies to this topic
  • brentn

Posted September 06, 2010 - 02:15 PM

How do you interpret this?

Here is the exact words from the manual that I downloaded on the euro website;
Questions are in bold;

Break-In Procedures
1. Before starting the engine, fill the fuel tank with the fuel.
2. Perform the pre-operation checks on the machine
3. Start and warm up the engine. Check the idle speed, and check the operation of the controls and the engine stop switch. Then, restart the engine and check its operation within no more than 5 minutes after it is restarted.
WHAT?? Does anyone understand what this means? So stop it and let it cool down, or stop it and just proceed to step 4 within 5 minutes?
4. Operate the machine in the lower gears at moderate throttle openings for five to eight minutes
So should I stop after 8 minutes and go to step 5, riding it for an hour? Or should I let it cool down first???
5. Check how the engine runs when the machine is ridden with the throttle 1/4 to 1/2 open (low to medium speed) for about one hour.
Again, should I let it cool down? I'm assuming so or else they'd just say to ride it for two hours?
6. Restart the engine and check the operation of the machine throughout its entire operating range. Re-start the machine and operate it for about 10-15 more minutes. The machine will now be ready to race.

That is the most complicated break in procedure I have ever read, just as complicated as it is cryptic.

Any insight into this?

Grey?

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2010 - 05:56 PM

Step 3 is perfectly clear (more or less). It does help to have read several Japanese service manuals, though. But if you check the operation of the controls, including the stop switch, what do you think will happen, assuming everything works? OK, then, after you restart it, check it out in the lower gears, etc., for the 5-8 minutes specified.

Then, shut off and check things out for 10-15 minutes before proceeding to step 5.

Since step 6 tells you to restart, it's pretty obvious that the engine was shut off at the end of step five. A few minute cool down is called for. About step 5, though, you should be running it a bit harder as the hour goes by, and by the 35th minute, you should be using 3/4 throttle accelerations in higher gears, revving to 80% of the limit some of the time. The object is to be neither too hard nor too easy on the the engine. End step 5 at about 45-50 minutes and go to 6.

• brentn

Posted September 06, 2010 - 07:11 PM

haha, ok that helps me out, thank you!

I suppose yes if you check all the controls then the bike will shut off :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SEOINAGE

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:12 PM

Hmm pre operation checks? anything special there that is anymore than the basics? like coolant, tire pressure, oil etc? or is there something special i should be checking? Everyone keeps talking about repacking your swing arm bearings etc, but would i be fine riding the bike for two half days before I take it apart?

• brentn

Posted November 10, 2010 - 09:45 PM

Usually people forget to repack even though they say "just a couple days" and that's when your bearings are toast half way through the season.

I admit, when I got the bike I didn't repack anything at all, changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and gassed up. Took it out for about 4 hours of run time within a few days and then did a tear down.

But to answer your question, you'll be fine for a few hours of riding until a proper repack.

• tech24

Posted November 11, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Hmm pre operation checks? anything special there that is anymore than the basics? like coolant, tire pressure, oil etc? or is there something special i should be checking? Everyone keeps talking about repacking your swing arm bearings etc, but would i be fine riding the bike for two half days before I take it apart?

I never do that crap I want to ride! I'll take the thing apart when it needs some replacements. However I did check them out of curiousity after 20hrs of riding and to my suprise there was a healthy coating of some quality moly grease on them.

• YamaLink

Posted November 11, 2010 - 12:07 PM

Usually a wet ride complete with me falling over in a creek is in the first few weeks so I'll repack after that.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.