Grips Keep Coming Loose...What Am I Missing?

25 replies to this topic
  • jchantzWR400F

Posted June 24, 2003 - 07:07 AM

Now that it's warming up around here, I'm having trouble keeping my throttle grip secure. It first broke free a couple weeks ago (You know trying to hold on to the grip while the bike is falling over). Anyway, I tried to clean it out as good as possible with alcohol then, reinstalled using grip glue from the cycle shop. Let it stand for 24 hours. Now it doesn't seem as well gripped as it use to, and with a little torque spins easily... What am I missing?

• Jetster220

Posted June 24, 2003 - 07:16 AM

Something that has always worked realy well for me is taking some thin wire and twisting it on the grip with pliers. then cut it off short and push the end up in the grip or where ever it will not stab you hand. Never had a grip twist from this and I dont use grip glue.

• sjw

Posted June 24, 2003 - 07:20 AM

Renthal grip glue is the one that works for me.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 24, 2003 - 07:57 AM

Better idea: get your electrical tape out & wrap the entire portion evenly overlapping the tape 50%, on the handlebar or throttle. Double wrap the end. Then take some carb or brake cleaner spray the tape & install the grip. Wait 10-15min. The cleaner will melt part of the tape making a lasting bond that will cure your issue period. If you feel better get the wire out, but you won't need it. :)

• Jetster220

Posted June 24, 2003 - 08:05 AM

I just never liked putting glue or anything like that into the grips because when you go to replace the grips there is a nasty mess inside and are almost impossible to get off. Just my .02 :)

• drzphatkid

Posted June 24, 2003 - 08:45 AM

First spray the grip with WD-40, slide the grip on and then wire the grip on. I know guys that don't wire them on and they still stay on with this method. Just make sure you don't use too much WD-40. I read this in at least one moto mag. The petroleum in the WD-40 melts the grip rubber and acts like a glue. It also depends on the time of year, if it's wet you should wire them. I always wire them thats what works for me! :)

• Ga426owner

Posted June 24, 2003 - 08:52 AM

JetSter, since you are on the clean side --- try hairspray - -it works like a charm. No mess. It drys & adheres the grip to the surface. But use Wire to secure

• John_Lorenz

Posted June 24, 2003 - 08:54 AM

Hair spray or genuine rubber cement

• Jetster220

Posted June 24, 2003 - 09:00 AM

Hmmm never thought of hairspray. Will have to try that next time. :)

• Eagle426

Posted June 24, 2003 - 10:30 AM

Here is my smart ass comment: Try finding a six speed gear box, that way you will not have to twist the throttle so damn hard in 5th gear! I suppose some gearing changes would be simlpier and might work just as well! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woodsrider426

Posted June 24, 2003 - 11:11 AM

I tried everything else, Spray paint works best for me, I use black paint under black grips.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted June 25, 2003 - 12:41 AM

Body filler, works great, no wire, ten minutes and it's ready, it was the only thing i could find in the shed one night and i have never changed since, try it y'll love it !!

• gloft

Posted June 25, 2003 - 03:52 AM

Go buy some grip glue from your local golf shop.

• Burnrider

Posted June 25, 2003 - 08:30 AM

Better idea: get your electrical tape out & wrap the entire portion evenly overlapping the tape 50%, on the handlebar or throttle. Double wrap the end. Then take some carb or brake cleaner spray the tape & install the grip. Wait 10-15min. The cleaner will melt part of the tape making a lasting bond that will cure your issue period. If you feel better get the wire out, but you won't need it. :)

A side benefit of the tape is you can increase the grip diameter for a larger hand. The medium rubber grips stretch easy for this use.

• pedman

Posted June 25, 2003 - 09:58 AM

Okay, Here is my two cents worth to the problem and I am surprised that no one has mentioned it, but I have turned heads when I do this and everyone that sees it goes WOW!

Please, hopefully someone else has done this out there.

It is a trick that I have done for the past 25 years from the ole ski shop with ski poles all the way to golf clubs to BMX bike to the dirt bikes. No glue, no WD40, no hairspray, just O2.

This literally takes less than five seconds to put both grips on the bike.

Pre-setup:
Air compressor with air blower nossel
New grips with one small hole at the ends of the grips. Very small just enough to put the air blow up to with out leaking.

Start your grip (one at a time) on the bars and with your hand, cover the other end of the handle bar and take the air hose and snug it up to the grip with the little hole and blow air into it. This will expand the grip just enough to side in onto the bar and then rotate it into position.

Then do the opposite to the other side, but this time hold on to the first grip to make sure it does not fly off or rotate.

Once you have the grips on, I agree on the wire wrap to hold them in place. You can do this with grip glue, but you have to very careful, because of the air flow your glue will set faster.

Good Luck hope this helps.. :)

• live_to_ride

Posted June 25, 2003 - 06:15 PM

I just tried weather stripping adhesive and it seems to be working well. Actually, having used that stuff before, I'm worried that the grips might not come off when I want to change them. I tried using just carb cleaner on my old bike, and it seems to be working well too. That bike hasn't been ridden since I put the grips on though. :)

• jchantzWR400F

Posted June 26, 2003 - 08:56 AM

Wow, hairspray, I haven't had that stuff around the house since 1985. Everything is moose and gel these days. I'll admit it doesn't work nearly as well on the mullet as hairspray does. :) Anyway, thanks for the input everyone. I will probably try the WD40 and the wire trick first. If that don't work, I'll try the hairspray or the rubber cement.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted July 01, 2003 - 08:01 AM

Just wanted to report back on the grip solution. I was going to try plain rubber cement, but only had half of a dried up tube in my garage. So, I went with the black electrical tape and the WD-40. Rode for about 4 hours on Saturday at around 90 *F. I had no problems with the grip coming loose. Just wanted to let everyone know it's an easy fix. Wrap 1 layer of electrical tape around the bar end or in my case throttle tube (starting at the end and working towards the middle of the bars) then spray with WD-40 and slide grip on. It adheres very well, and was ready to go the next day.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 01, 2003 - 11:30 AM

Yamabond grip glue is amazingly good and cleans off with acetone. Draw back is it is very expensive. :)

• beezer

Posted July 01, 2003 - 12:03 PM

Like you care. :)

There is a difference between regular money and motorcycle money.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.