01 Forks work excellant now!!!

17 replies to this topic
  • G-Man

Posted February 12, 2001 - 11:08 PM

Did a 2nd oil change on my bike and I decided to experiment a bit on fluid viscosity and volume.

Had some Factory Connection fluid leftover from my CR days and decided this stuff is too expensive not to use. It is 3wt, I believe the manual calls for 5wt and std oil ht is 130mm.

I went with 110mm and set the clickers as a starting point at 12 out on both compression and rebound. Wow, :) the 1st min on the track I felt a HUGE difference as they were now plush and took away the harshness the 01's are famous for. I did not do a single adj all day and am extremely pleased with the suspension front and rear.

btw I weigh 162 and race 40 Expert in the AZOT.

• F-Pilot

Posted February 13, 2001 - 02:30 PM

That's bad news about your suspension :) http://communities.m...m/FPilotsPhotos

[This message has been edited by F-Pilot (edited 02-13-2001).]

[This message has been edited by F-Pilot (edited 02-13-2001).]

• G-Man

Posted February 13, 2001 - 07:56 PM

:) Hey I gotta do all I can to keep up with the Jones's LOL

How much does Tim pay you to mess with me anyway! I know he's a rich and all....

Where's Paul in Phx anyway, we gotta get some mud-slinging going on in here!

See Ya Sunday,

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 14, 2001 - 06:44 AM

Here's some slingin', good thing you guys aren't in the AZOT amatuer class, you'd be swimming in my wake now that I have the 250F under my monkey butt...

Paul in AZ

• G-Man

Posted February 14, 2001 - 01:59 PM

All righty dats what I like to hear!!! :)

Now Paul once you learn to ride with the big boys, you better get a good chest protector cuz we throw rocks not pebbles! :D

I'll be looking for you in practice!

• F-Pilot

Posted February 14, 2001 - 08:11 PM

Man, I'm sick of hearing how "great" these 250F's are! First one I see Sunday is getting the full wrath of my 426's new rear meat!
Paul, you better watch out :)
#5 Exp

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 15, 2001 - 06:16 AM

I got chunks of guys faster than you boys in my stool!

The Chairman

• G-Man

Posted February 17, 2001 - 10:21 PM

Tomorrow, I'm gonna make you my bitch... :)

• Tom_Higdon

Posted February 19, 2001 - 05:18 AM

G-man, you hit those fork settings right on the head! I went in and made the same fluid/settings changes this weekend and it was great! Definetly took the "sting" out of those slap down landings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • G-Man

Posted February 19, 2001 - 01:22 PM

No problemo Tom, glad I could help. I'm a new 4-stroke owner myself and have learned a BUNCH from these guys, so I was hoping to spread the LOVE!!! :)

I will not havta do a thing to this bike, just keep on some fresh rubber.

btw I just tried a Michelin MH2 front tire that worked great, definately that is my tire of choice now.

So what kind of fork oil did you use?
Is the Yamaha oil 3 or 5wt?

• holeshot

Posted February 19, 2001 - 05:20 PM

You should have been at the ROTMX at Sunrise when you were on your Sabatical in SoCal.

I'm only an amatuer, but I may have bumped myself for one day, just so I could throw some roost on you.

Holeshot's Page

• G-Man

Posted February 19, 2001 - 08:10 PM

Well well well, looks like we have some territorial trash talking going on here! :)

Holeshot, you better start practicing cuz the next time I come out there (AMA National at Glen Helen) I will give you some lessons free of charge!!! :D

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 19, 2001 - 08:30 PM

G-man, got any of the secret fork fluid left over? If so, come on over and work your magic on my bike. I won't charge you anything to work on the new 250F...

Paul in AZ

• G-Man

Posted February 19, 2001 - 08:52 PM

Paul "in AZ",
Yea I got some fluid for your bike, but it's not fork oil. :)
As far as working my magic, I have a 2001 YZ125 in my Factory right now I'm working on, and he's paying me!

So why did you mess with the jetting?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 20, 2001 - 05:46 AM

I rode the new 250F twice before the race Sunday and had the "bog". I read a post on the 250F forum and jetted to what those guys said worked for them - wrong! Stock jetting was much better. I am going back to stock and play with the air screw some. I can live with the stock setting, just trying a few adjustments to see the results, it's easy to do so why not.

No kidding, let me know when you finish the 125. I wouldn't mind trying your suspension oil/settings. I am clueless about this stuff so I'm willing to let someone who knows these things take charge. Call me when you can 480-891-8442 days.

FYI, we are planning to ride at Goldfield and Baseline Wednesday or Thursday after work - around 4:00 if you would like to join us. There are a few good jumps there and a little track of sorts, close for after work rides.

Paul in AZ

• G-Man

Posted February 21, 2001 - 01:06 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul in AZ:

"I am clueless about this stuff so I'm willing to let someone who knows these things take charge."

No I'm gonna havta CHARGE you for my services! :D
Finished the 125 at 2am this morning!! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 21, 2001 - 05:21 AM

Are you available on Saturday G? I'll bring the bike by if so. Call me when you can...

• G-Man

Posted February 21, 2001 - 04:22 PM

Saturday should work, I will call you tomorrow.

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.