Any luck removing baffle on stock pipe for XR650L?

4 replies to this topic
  • WR250Fnewbe

Posted June 24, 2003 - 01:04 AM

I just bought a 03 XR650L and I need to uncork this thing ASAP,I plan on buying a BD jet kit,smog block off kit,and remove airbox lid. I'd like to know if removing the baffle will be enough.Thanks

• uw153

Posted June 24, 2003 - 02:47 AM

I have an '01 and have removed it and tried keeping it in. So far there's a little more low end but nothing like what you would get if you just bought a aftermarket pipe. I am saving for the FMF "Q" right now. From what I've been reading, the pipe makes a huge difference. Taking the insert out makes it louder but not a whole lot more seat of the pants grunt. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TobCapone

Posted June 25, 2003 - 01:40 PM

If you take the baffel out it will also not have a spark arrester and will be illegal. I put on a FMF Power Core and it made a huge difference.

Other things to change besides what you are currently doing
- take the smog kit off (gets rid of the back firing)
- I went down one smaller sprocket size in the front and it handles much better in the single track, cost $15 or so.

I suggest doing all these upgrades one at a time, that way you will notice the difference on each thing you change. Maybe do the dyno jet last so you only have to mess w/ the jetting once (or twice) instead of 10 times. :) :D

Hope you enjoy your bike!

Preston

send an email to pclark@mammoth-mtn.com if you want more info - I never check this forum.

• motometal

Posted June 25, 2003 - 05:17 PM

I think overall the stock muffler actually works better with the insert in! I did modify it, griding out the cross-bar in the i.d.
haven't yet tried any aftermarket exhaust.

• sonorawfo

Posted June 26, 2003 - 05:41 PM

Throw the stock one away and save a few pounds, the bike is in serious need of a diet plan. I use the Supertrapp IDS2 tuneable exaust, (race core), I would go with the quiet core now, but I still like the option of adding or subtracting discs, you can move the powerband around a bit, plus regulate the sound output, it works, I also would give a thumbs up for the Baja desighns jetting and smog block off kitt, money well spent!!. :) :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.