2007 yz450f blew up on me

2 replies to this topic
  • coreyl

Posted September 03, 2010 - 10:09 PM

i was riding the other day when my back wheel locked up on me. after i got back from the hospital with a broken collar bone and ankle, and stitched in the other ankle i looked at the bike and the rod went through the transmission and out the cases behind the cylinder. i am trying to decide if i want to part out the bike, sell as a parts bike, or fix it. any ideas on what i should do or why this may have happened?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ColoradoKXer

Posted September 03, 2010 - 10:32 PM

What rod are we talking about? IF its the connecting rod i would say that the pistion seized and sent the connecting rod threw the bottom of the engine. Either way if it went threw both cases i would suggest parting it out. Bc as that rod went up and down threw the engine it probably trashed your cylinder to.

I would love to see some picts

• Steel Panther

Posted September 04, 2010 - 01:07 AM

my brothers sti just did this. Timing belt broke while we were getting on the freeway and obviously there was some amazing valve to piston contact that broke two of the connecting rods off and caused a lot of problems. Gotta love interference engines, you would expect he timing belt to last longer than 12k miles tho!
Im no engine guru but it sounds possible that you had some timing chain problems or some valve float, from your description it could have been a lot of things tho, lets see some pics!!!

Obviously it wouldnt be worth getting a new motor when you can get a new bike for just a little more, you might be able to find some used motors for around $1500 on ebay if you want to go that route.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.