subframe

6 replies to this topic
  • jesse

Posted February 12, 2001 - 11:44 AM

has anyone ever had a chain take chunks out of you subframe when you bottom out your suspension.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 12, 2001 - 12:05 PM

Wow, you must have some serious travel or your chain is super loose. Is your upper chain roller still on the bike?
Khris

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!

• kev94mx

Posted February 12, 2001 - 12:07 PM

Never had that happen but I have had other sub frame problems. All the YZs have very weak sub frames. If you have to replace it i would suggest a aftermarket one. I have messed up 2 oe subframes. good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mike_dean

Posted February 12, 2001 - 01:45 PM

Jesse, Ive had my chain rub against the sub frame when it was too loose, I fixed it by wrapping stainless steel that I found at a hobby shop around the tube. This only happened with the stock chain (which is junk) that was too loose because we were on a 5 hr ride and could not adjust it. I wrapped the stainless steel around the frame bent it to the correct shape drilled and riveted it in place, making sure there are no edges the chain can catch on. mike

• Shawbridge Husky

Posted February 14, 2001 - 03:06 PM

Guys, I have a question. My '99 400's sub frame is round steel tubing. I bought the bike used and it was slightly tweaked. Do the later bikes have better subframes?

• JBM

Posted February 15, 2001 - 06:24 AM

Hugh,
The 2000 and 2001s are semi-square aluminum. I would say they are better and probably lighter.

• Tom_N

Posted February 16, 2001 - 04:28 AM

There is an aluminum BBR subframe for sale on Ebay, claims is very light but don't know myself.. I thought about buying itbut don't know anything about it. Anyone here have any thoughts? I would like to shed a few pounds if possible.. I only weigh 175 so the bike is a bit heavy for me to throw around but I love it!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.