oil strainer

6 replies to this topic
  • jesse

Posted February 12, 2001 - 08:41 AM

what is the best way to get the oil strainer out of the bottom of the downtube tank

• BigMike

Posted February 12, 2001 - 09:09 AM

I just did mine for the first time. You have to loosen the clamp that holds the oil line on the fitting for strainer. Follow the line to 8mm bolt that holds the line to motor. Remove bolt. Slide hose off of hose barb on
strainer. Get a Box end 15/16 wrench. Slide onto strainer nut and oooomph. Some have used impact.....nut surface is small so impact could round it if not square. Little skidplate needs to be removed to give you access. I have a works connection plate so it definitely needs to come off. My strainer was clean. Second oil change....oil filter barely had anything on it.

• shredder

Posted February 12, 2001 - 01:29 PM

That's correct, the intake hose needs to be removed, then the whole thing will just drop down. I just took mine out this weekend to check for first time, clean! The oil filter was another story, even though alot of people don't change them often because they are steel mesh, mine was loaded with junk and metal shavings and I recommend at least looking it over after a month or two of riding.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bhunt

Posted February 12, 2001 - 06:02 PM

I don't get it, how often do you need to clean the strainer? Every oil change, or ??

• hambone

Posted February 12, 2001 - 11:44 PM

I've checked mine about three times last season. I have a '00 426 and change my oil after about three rides, unless I race, then its every ride. Anyway, every time I've checked the strainer, its been clean.

• Tom_Higdon

Posted February 13, 2001 - 04:52 AM

The only time my strainer had anything in it was during my first break-in oil change

• brooks

Posted February 16, 2001 - 12:39 AM

Im with Hambone and Tom. After first break in I have yet to find anything in the strainer. The filter is another thing. Take the time and clean it right. Buy a spare they're cheap. Then clean both filters at the same time eliminating a cleaning to every other oil change.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.