Question: Can you go back?

11 replies to this topic
  • Scrubba

Posted September 02, 2010 - 01:09 AM

I realized something the other day after my ride, and wanted to ask you all if you felt the same way.

After owning, riding the 2010 yz450f, can you go back to a conventional bike like the rest of them, CRF450, KX, RMZ, etc?

I dont think I want to deal with the old set up, top heavy, weight distribution, etc. now that i have gotten used to my yzf 2010.

When I ride my yzf, i dont even think about the bike anymore. I only think about the ride.

Is it just me? or do you have the same feeling?

• YamaLink

Posted September 02, 2010 - 05:25 AM

I also feel that way after riding a 250 two stroke especially in turns and through the whoops. Getting out of control and then bringing it back in line with ease makes a 250 T seem like cheating.

• tech24

Posted September 02, 2010 - 09:43 AM

I most definently feel that way!!!!!. I have never been able to ride so comfortably. I'm in the middle of a very expensive '04 yz450 project and i'm thousands away from finishing it and I'm afraid I wont want to ride it when I'm done. And selling it will just be a huge loss.

• honda907

Posted September 02, 2010 - 03:20 PM

I realized something the other day after my ride, and wanted to ask you all if you felt the same way.

After owning, riding the 2010 yz450f, can you go back to a conventional bike like the rest of them, CRF450, KX, RMZ, etc?

I dont think I want to deal with the old set up, top heavy, weight distribution, etc. now that i have gotten used to my yzf 2010.

When I ride my yzf, i dont even think about the bike anymore. I only think about the ride.

Is it just me? or do you have the same feeling?

I have both an 09 and 2010 YZ 450. I like both bikes, faster (a little) on the '10, but I really enjoy the 09 much more. I only know two other guys (oldtimers like me, as we are the only ones who have enough money, I guess!) that really miss the 09. They do ride different, and I have posted that in post over the last 5 months.

Is it better? Probably, but nobody knows much about the bike to make it much better than stock. Since there are so few out there, ther is no good baseline like the older version.

Dungey had Reed's baseline and Reed had RC's, and RC won, so I think that bike is developed really good. Even the guy from Belgium, DeSall I think, rode good on a well developed bike ( Suzuki) at Unidilla.

I personally think the Yamaha needs further development, and as good as J7S, he didn't win outdoors on it. Next year the bike will be developed better and the aftermarket can make the bike work better than the stock configuration this year.

Just my two cents.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 03, 2010 - 08:55 PM

I most definently feel that way!!!!!. I have never been able to ride so comfortably. I'm in the middle of a very expensive '04 yz450 project and i'm thousands away from finishing it and I'm afraid I wont want to ride it when I'm done. And selling it will just be a huge loss.

thousands????

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 03, 2010 - 08:57 PM

I personally think the Yamaha needs further development, and as good as J7S, he didn't win outdoors on it. Next year the bike will be developed better and the aftermarket can make the bike work better than the stock configuration this year.

Just my two cents.

Are you kidding?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 03, 2010 - 11:02 PM

...as good as J7S, he didn't win outdoors on it.

It's true! He's still not good enough to win outdoors without riding outdoors.

Apparently, you missed a couple of things: First, Stewart broke his wrist (Thanks Chad) and sat out the bulk of the SX season. Second, he signed an SX only contract for 2010.

• Scrubba

Posted September 04, 2010 - 12:51 PM

It's true! He's still not good enough to win outdoors without riding outdoors.

Apparently, you missed a couple of things: First, Stewart broke his wrist (Thanks Chad) and sat out the bulk of the SX season. Second, he signed an SX only contract for 2010.

third, dungey and others have been testing, training, racing all year long. id say for the third place he got in the first moto, that was an awesome feat.

• honda907

Posted September 05, 2010 - 03:14 AM

third, dungey and others have been testing, training, racing all year long. id say for the third place he got in the first moto, that was an awesome feat.

I guess you guys missed my point. Look at the Honda last year, and look at it this year. Last year K-Dub hated it, but with further testing, it has become a potent weapon for all of Team Honda. Next year, the Yamaha will be better, and more people will have this bike dialed.

Also, remember last year privateers were swathing back to the 08 Honda 450? Because they knew how it worked? Guess what, you don't see that this year at all. That is what I meant that it was "probably better". Better, but not alot of stuff to make it better than showroom.

Heck, up until 2 months ago, PR2 suspension didn't even do a 450 Yamaha, so they had no baseline. That is what I was getting at. Not much info that way.

I do go faster on the new bike, but I do enjoy the older bike. Just an opinion. Think of it as loving a 2 smoke and thinking it was the greatest thing, but would race a 4 stroke when push came to shove.

Chad didn't break Stewart's wrist. It was an accident with Partridge. Chad broke his hand hitting Stewart, if you want to call it "hitting".

Man, at Steel City yesterday, Dungey's bike handled the bumps better than any other bike. He just hits whatever and his bike tracks though it. Oh yes, it does help that he is naturally gifted too!

• honda907

Posted September 05, 2010 - 03:20 AM

Anyhow Scrubba, I can go back and forth between the two bikes. Just like lots of people go back and forth between 4 and 2 stroikes. I guess I should of answered your question.

• tech24

Posted September 08, 2010 - 06:17 AM

thousands????

Yeah gonna replace everything just about. Still need top end, stroker crank, wr 5spd gears, trans bearings, rekluse clutch, foot pegs, sub frame (old one mangled), exhaust, air box (broken), asv levers, bark busters, frame guards, ss brake lines, seat cover, plastics.....uhm I can go on :ride: And I've already spent a boat load just to get to a rollin chasis state.

• 450motard

Posted September 14, 2010 - 08:08 PM

I was in the process of a motor rebuild on my '02 CRF450R when I bought the 2010 YZ450F.

Since I got the new bike, the old bike wasn't a top priority. I finally took the CRF to the track with the YZ. Holy crap! I took two laps on the YZ and then jumped on the CRF, expecting it to feel like riding an old friend or something. I hardly made it to the first turn - I wanted to turn around and get back on the YZ. I went one lap and never touched the Honda again.

Yeah, the CRF has a little more power (13.5:1 piston, RHC cam, CHM exhaust) than the YZ, but no amount of power could make me go back to the CRF.

And yeah, I realize we're talking 8 years of technology. I'd like to ride a new CRF back-to-back with the new YZ to see how they compare.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.