bike crapping out on the top end

9 replies to this topic
  • guns and hoses

Posted August 31, 2010 - 12:49 PM

Anyone know what is causing my 2007 450 to crap out from half to full throttle? I have had it at the dealership and they are baffled. It is some kind of electrical problem. The CDI box seems to be Ok. We have checked the carb plug gas and every other mechanical problem. Please help

• - Jake -

Posted September 01, 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have the same problem with mine. I've checked all the obvious things but still the same problem. I suppose getting a compression check and the valves checked is the next thing for me. Nobody on here has suggested anything yet.

• William1

Posted September 01, 2010 - 11:56 AM

Define 'crap out' more.

Does it missfire, getting worse as RPMs increase?
Does it just fall flat and bog/die?
Has it always been like this, did it happen all of a sudden or has it been getting progressively worse over time?

• guns and hoses

Posted September 02, 2010 - 03:40 PM

when I get from half throttle to full throttle it feels like the bike is hitting the rev limiter. Its like as if I had a two stroke and have a fouled plug. I got cross rutted in some atv ruts and took a quick exit of my bike in the top of third gear. After that the bike started running like crap. You can tell it wants to go but it just keeps farting in and out. I have narrowed it down to either the stator or the cdi. I am going to try the stator bc it is about 175 bucks cheeper unless anyone has some wisdom to share with me

• William1

Posted September 02, 2010 - 03:46 PM

Ah, so a crash induced the problem. imporatnt information. Check the wiring on the bars, specifically the on/off switch and the kill switch. Also check the main harness at the headstock.

Do not buy a stator or CDI.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ASternad

Posted September 07, 2010 - 10:01 AM

I have the exact same condition on a 09 WR450.
Guns - Did you ever get it sorted?

• wondermuscle

Posted September 07, 2010 - 10:34 AM

I too have the same issue. My 2008 WR450 feels like it is starving for fuel when it is up near redline.

• ASternad

Posted September 07, 2010 - 08:00 PM

Just read a thread from a 04 and they recommend disconnecting the TPS, worth a try.
I will try and test this out before the weekend.
I only notice the problem half throttle and up, so I never notice it on the single track.

• wondermuscle

Posted September 08, 2010 - 06:21 AM

Mine is fixed. Went up a main jet and moved the needle clip down one. No more bogg up top.

I had a 165 main with the NFLR needle on #4 clip.

Now I have a:
NFLR on #5 clip

• cz9mm

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Did they replace the coil?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.