4 wire key switch ?

3 replies to this topic
  • a56kuser

Posted August 31, 2010 - 11:56 AM

Hey all
I recently purchased a 4 wire ignition key switch to replace my main on/off switch on my 450f.... My question is what are the 4 wires for?

After doing some test on the dmm I concluded that wire 1 and 2 connects when key Is turned to "ON" and wire 3 and 4 connects when key Is turned to "OFF"

The main switch has 4 wires as well but it seems the two extra wires is for the led light when the button is pushed to on .
Just trying to figure out what the purpose of having a complete circuit when the key is turned to off?

Any help would be great thanks.

• jsantapau

Posted August 31, 2010 - 02:11 PM

probably the 3+4 key switch is like your stop engine switch, open bike runs, closed ignition system is grounded out killing spark. without a schematic or intended use to reference to I would guess you would hook up wires 1+2 as is instead of power button. but I would also hook up 3&4 parralel to your kill switch that way nobody can kick the bike over and fire it up.

most of the time the key switch would be hooked up as 1+2 would operate the lights and or d/c part of the sytem as for starter/battery charging and 3/4 would operate the ignition. ie. key in off position wires 1&2 would cut off power to lights,starter etc and wires 3&4 would connect to ground out the ignition at the same time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • a56kuser

Posted August 31, 2010 - 03:31 PM

I kinda get ya
I understand that a complete circuit on the kill switch will kill the bike
But simply turning off connection 1+2 would kill the bike too

So if I were to hook it up like u said I would be killing the bike via completing the circuit on the kill switch ( key switched to off thus connecting 3+4) and killing the bike again by disconnecting the main switch (key switched to off thus no longer connecting 1+2)

The only benefit I see from this is if someone were to hot wire my bike they would have a harder time messing with 4 wires instead of two lol

• Raymond2024

Posted August 31, 2010 - 03:57 PM

I don’t know the 450f but If the switch is like the one on the old atcs then the on controls some of electrical accessories like e-starter and lights. The off circuit acts only as a kill switch. I know this because I drove this atc for two years without a key and never had any electric problems except lights and starter. Hope this helps

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.