Stock 09 WR 450 Tank missing gallons?

6 replies to this topic
  • jw423

Posted August 30, 2010 - 07:50 PM

I decided to make a measure stick for figuring out how much fuel is in the tank. So I took the tank off and completely drained it. I tipped it over and also drained the petcock.

Then I took a 32oz container and filled it with fuel and dumped it into the tank, one by one making marks on the stick periodicaly.

Here is where the strange comes in. I was able to dump 6.5 32oz containers of fuel into the tank before it was filled to the absolute top. As far as I can tell 32oz = .25 gal. So I have a stock 2.1 Gal tank that holds 1.625 gal of fuel? What gives? Am I missing something? :bonk:

• GuyGraham

Posted August 31, 2010 - 03:57 AM

Thought the stock tank was 8 litres which is 1.76 imp gallons which ain't far off what you've measured

• atitagain

Posted August 31, 2010 - 06:43 AM

It looks like your math is correct. The stock tank is advertised as 2.11 us gal. The only other variable that could throw this off is your measuring container was not 32oz.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jw423

Posted August 31, 2010 - 07:58 AM

The measuring container is deffinately 32oz. It has the markings for oz and ml on the side. I think I'll call the dealer and see if there is something strange going on. I looked online and YZ450 comes with a 1.6 Gal tank. Maybe that is what happened.

• jw423

Posted August 31, 2010 - 09:04 AM

No help from dealer. Would any one with a 09 WR450 be willing to give me the part number off their gas tank? My number doesn't match the parts list off the internet. It should be right under the seat.

• jw423

Posted August 31, 2010 - 08:31 PM

Turns out I messed up with my count or something, I filled it at the station and 2.1 on the money. I guess I was having a rough day yesterday.

• rkwfxd1

Posted September 03, 2010 - 07:50 AM

Too bad we cant use all 2.1 gallons as the front of the stock tank dips down BELOW the position of the petcock. If Yamaha had actually put he petcock in the very bottom, lowest part of the tank I would never needed to buy a larger tank.

Oh well.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.