wheel bearings

3 replies to this topic
  • rjcook450

Posted August 30, 2010 - 02:54 PM

Front wheel bearings starting to go out on my 08 yz450f. I have heard that All balls bearings are the way to go over OEM, any one use them or have any insight into how good they are?

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2010 - 03:25 PM

... any one ...have any insight into how good they are?

The price is one indication. If you can look at one of the bearings, the country of origin and brand name would be another. I've heard the kits from one of the popular aftermarket bearing kit suppliers were Chinese, but I don't know for sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rjcook450

Posted August 30, 2010 - 03:35 PM

ok, thanks. the price did catch my eye, just a few dollars more than the price of one oem bearing and you get the hole front bearing kit, probably not the best quality, ill order oem bearings and seals.

• KJ790

Posted August 30, 2010 - 04:05 PM

For wheel bearings, quality of the bearing really doesn't matter. Every single wheel bearing failure I have ever seen or heard of was due to water and/or dirt getting into the bearing, which is a maintenance issue. No matter where the bearing is made or how well it is made, it will fail if not taken care of properly.

Personally, I have had great success with VXB bearings in mx wheels. I'm sure they are chinese, as they are about 1/4 the cost of OEM wheel bearings. I like to replace the OEM open bearings with sealed bearings for extra resistance against water and dirt. I bought some used wheels that had bad bearings a while back, replaced them with cheap VXB bearings, packed the seals with grease every time I take the wheels off and the bearings are still good after 3 seasons in mud and sand.

For most bearings I would suggest not cheaping out, but an MX wheel really doesn't need a high quality bearing like other applications.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.