Suspension Linkage repair/replace

2 replies to this topic
  • cherrypicker7

Posted August 30, 2010 - 11:00 AM

Decided to lube the bearings in the rear suspension linkage on my 05 WR450. Evidently this had never been done by the previous owner, because there was almost as much rust as grease. Particularly bad was the one forward one. I think the one the shock mounts in. This is not a fun job, because I did it on the 07 WR250 I have. When I did this I was surprised to see that the bearing pins are loose and not caged. I'm sure they should be replaced, but think I'll wait till end of the season to do this. I guess the question is how best to do this? I'm sure the link should be heated in an oven so that the bearings will slide in easier, possibly the bearings should be left in the freezer overnight. If you have done this and have any recommendations I'd appreciate it. Thanks Ron

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted August 30, 2010 - 03:14 PM

Some just use an industrial type press. Not many have that.

A vise and sockets can be a makeshift press.

Some soak the entire linkage in a solvent overnight and then press it out.

• SAthump

Posted August 31, 2010 - 05:57 PM

threaded rod, fender washers, nuts and appropriate sized sockets. mucho penetrating oil.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.