moving to a KDX200 - CRAZY????

23 replies to this topic
  • TracksNTrails

Posted August 29, 2010 - 04:17 PM

I bought a new 2003 WR450 and have enjoyed it all of the past 7 years. I have ridden both trails and tracks, having removed the lights and battery to shed weight. Now I find myself 47 years old and have decided I have ridden tracks for the last time. I almost got hurt on my last visit a few months ago.

Although I LOVE the torque and acceleration of my 450, I find it wears me down after extended riding on trails. That's partly because it is tall and pretty heavy, and partly because i'm getting older. I have always thought the 450 didn't like to putt, or ride a little off idle. It shines everywhere else in the RPM range.

I am thinking of switching to a KDX200, based on the following expectations:

1. a little lighter and lower
2. easier to ride at slow, putting speeds, but fully capable of full-on riding at speed
3. easier to maintain compared to a 7 year old 4 stroke
4. plenty of power and torque to still have alot of fun.

If any of you have experience with both bikes, or if you just have an opinion you wish to share, please reply with your thoughts. I don't want to regret this decision, but my gut tells me the KDX will allow me to do all I want, and maybe fit my age and more relaxed style a little better.

I will also post this in the Kawasaki 2 stroke forum.

Thanks for all replies.

• Slick_Nick

Posted August 29, 2010 - 06:21 PM

I answered in your other thread as well. I've ridden both the KDX and WR, and it was clear to me which was best. (Guess which one I own!) Now, understand that the WR is better out of the box but the KDX is much cheaper all around. Initial purchase (As cheap as $1500 for a GREAT A or H series) parts, and maintainance. The KDX is one of the most bulletproof bikes made. Keep it greased and keep the engine happy, and it will run forever. If you ride it, you will immediately notice how much lighter is is than the WR.

Like I said, the WR is better out of the box, but with a proper suspension (read: KX forks) it is a real trail monster. The 220 is more torquey than the 200, but the 200 revs out better. Either bike is great, it depends on your riding style. Definitly join KDXRider.net and sniff around, you'll get a good idea for what to expect.

It's no Pumpkin 300, but bang for the buck it's a great bike IMO.

• baha

Posted August 29, 2010 - 06:30 PM

I went from a WR 450 to a YZ 250 and then to a YZ 265 and I do love it,
That said my kid has outgrown his KX 85 with a 100 top end on it.

I am beefing it up to my weight, whooooo hoooooo!!!!!!!!!
So much fun on the trails!

He is getting a KTM 200,

Which one to ride next is the hardest question???????????

• YamaLink

Posted August 30, 2010 - 05:38 AM

An apples to oranges comparison, but not different really than the "should I go from a 450 to a 250F."

I own a kdx220, and it hauls the mail! It's one of my favorites when the terrain isn't super hilly or sandy. If I know we'll be riding lots of corners which require momentum and tight situations with lots of logs to jump I grab it first or second; a 250 two stroke is always a good grab but sometimes you want a more mellow ride.

Super easy to start, rebuild, maintain, etc.

Depends also on how much you weigh, do you plan to put some modds into it and what your riding style is. Years on a 450 probably have you turning with the rear wheel and powering through corners. If so, go back to your 125 or 80 days and rail that berm!

Good luck in your decision.

• TracksNTrails

Posted August 30, 2010 - 06:21 AM

I weigh 200 lb. I expect to get stiffer fork springs if needed. I probably won't find good KX forks at a cheap price, so the springs are probably my option.

You are right. I have gotten used to using the rear wheel during turning.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 30, 2010 - 08:12 AM

A couple of years ago, I got fed up with the weight of my wr450 and bought a yz250. There is not one time ever that I feel that the yz is heavy. It was a good choice.

Now.. I did have to learn how to ride all over again. 2 strokes require lots of input (clutching and shifiting) and can be frustrating at first. But stick with it.

If you are a laid back trail rider, also consider a 250f, which is easier to ride than the 450or the 2 stroke and won't wear you out.

Either way, you'll enjoy the lighter bike

• Slick_Nick

Posted August 30, 2010 - 03:13 PM

The KDX (moreso the 220 than the 200) allows you to be lazy if you want, or go balls out. It has a soft seat if you like to sit down alot.

• cherrypicker7

Posted August 30, 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm 64, 230# and I have WRs the 450, and 250, and an 04 KDX220. In the woods the KDX is the easiest to ride in the woods, I added heavier fork springs, a FMF pipe, and it is a joy to ride fast or slow. I like to WRs as well, leaning more toward the 05 450 because of the way it handles sand 2tracks, couldn't ever get comfortable on the 250 in the sand, might just need beefier springs as well. Most of the riding I do these days is 2track and gravel mostly dualsport rides. The KDX is the best value out there by far. I've gone up a tooth on the CS sprocket for the KDX and the 250, as they are capable of pulling it, and the only penalty is that now in extremely tight stuff, some clutch work is needed. You can't go wrong with any of those choices.

• TracksNTrails

Posted August 30, 2010 - 04:32 PM

That must be pretty nice to have both WR's and the KDX. For $ reasons and space reasons, I have to chose, unfortunately. It sounds like the KDX will be great(I'm getting excited about having a "new" bike, just for a change), although I am certain I will miss the 450. There can't be any substitute for the torque(and speed) of that thing. But, as I said in my original post, my riding style is changing - to one that won't get me a trip to the ER. Thanks for replying.

• firffighter

Posted August 30, 2010 - 04:42 PM

I spent 3 seasons on the KDX. Had 2 KDX220's and one with a KX front end conversion, modified head and carb. Great woods bike. It is dead solid reliable, easy to ride, easy to work on, and very capable.

BUT, it is dated. The ergos are dated (can be fixes with taller bars, pegs, seat, etc), and it does not like to be pushed too hard. If you are a B rider, then it if just fine and will out-perform many "newer technology" bikes with the right rider. I raced mine several times and did just fine. But, if you are aggresive and ride hard, it will struggle. The dated chassis and suspension are hard to overcome.

I had a '06 WR450, rode it for 1/2 a season, but never liked the additional weight, although it is a great machine with a great motor.

I decided on a newer generation WR250f ('07). I love this little thumper. It has great ergos, wonderful suspension, once uncorked, has a great motor and can be pushed hard with great results.

There will always be a special place in my heart for the KDX and I am planning on getting one for my son next year. Heck, I may even go back to one as I am getting older and dont "push" very often any more.

Hope this helps.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted August 30, 2010 - 06:28 PM

You'll also need a stiffer rear spring to achieve proper sag.

I weigh 200 lb. I expect to get stiffer fork springs if needed. I probably won't find good KX forks at a cheap price, so the springs are probably my option.

You are right. I have gotten used to using the rear wheel during turning.

• WR_Dave

Posted August 30, 2010 - 07:37 PM

At 200 lbs the KDX will need a little work in the suspension, exhaust and great jetting to go for you. I have a few friends with 200's and 220's and using the info on justkdx.com can get you a long way to a fun little bike. They are like the WR's in they are dead reliable with a bit of TLC. Enjoy whatever you chose. WR Dave

• mongial

Posted August 31, 2010 - 04:37 PM

I rode a 1990 KDX 200 for 10 years. I still think about that bike more than any other I have owned. I got rid of an 02 RM 250 (which was a dream to ride every where) and went to the WR450. All of these are capable bikes and do whatever any of us could ask, but man I can't get over that magic button!!!:bonk: Consider a used WR or CRFX 250 with this great invention!

• TracksNTrails

Posted September 04, 2010 - 05:06 PM

Well, I was able to find an 05 KDX200 with very little time on it. I test rode it and it sputtered through most of the throttle range, but I knew that could be resolved with a little trial and error.

After switching to a ProTaper bar, adding some Bark Busters I already had, putting in fresh oil and air filter, I took a shot at the carb. Well, after making two adjustments to the needle position, the bike runs perfectly. If the guy I got it from had been able to get it to run the way it does now, I doubt he would have sold it.

I could not be happier. There is much more bottom torque than I expected, plus the bike comes alive with a twist of the throttle. Some people would need more, but this thing has as much get-up and go as I will ever need.

I'm going to miss my WR450, but for me, this was the right move. A few years ago I was putting the WR thru the paces at local tracks(with YZ plate and rear fender), and I know the KDX would have come up short there.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice regarding my initial questions. I'm going to need a green cap to go with my blue one now.

• Bushdog

Posted October 05, 2010 - 05:45 PM

I bought a new 2003 WR450 and have enjoyed it all of the past 7 years. I have ridden both trails and tracks, having removed the lights and battery to shed weight. Now I find myself 47 years old and have decided I have ridden tracks for the last time. I almost got hurt on my last visit a few months ago.

Although I LOVE the torque and acceleration of my 450, I find it wears me down after extended riding on trails. That's partly because it is tall and pretty heavy, and partly because i'm getting older. I have always thought the 450 didn't like to putt, or ride a little off idle. It shines everywhere else in the RPM range.

I am thinking of switching to a KDX200, based on the following expectations:

1. a little lighter and lower
2. easier to ride at slow, putting speeds, but fully capable of full-on riding at speed
3. easier to maintain compared to a 7 year old 4 stroke
4. plenty of power and torque to still have alot of fun.

If any of you have experience with both bikes, or if you just have an opinion you wish to share, please reply with your thoughts. I don't want to regret this decision, but my gut tells me the KDX will allow me to do all I want, and maybe fit my age and more relaxed style a little better.

I will also post this in the Kawasaki 2 stroke forum.

Thanks for all replies.

I can tell you everything you need as my current bike is a WR450 and previous was a KDX200.

both are great bikes. - you are not crazy going to the 200!, they are a menace! they ARE the best 2 stroke enduro ever made - Kawasaki got this one right perfect here are the massive pros
- 6 gears
- bugger all maintanence (i hade mine for 5 years and only changed the spark plug and oil
- easy to start
- extrememly reliable
- fast as you like!
- can be mild and fierce - depends on how you ride, Good option

I'm into 4 strokes now, but the KDX is a weapon of a bike, fast and reliable!

• jonooffler

Posted October 05, 2010 - 11:09 PM

Hi bit late in on this one.
I owned a KDX220 for a year and it was ok, yes it was light and nippy but it did have it's faults. I found that the two stroke oil issue made riding it costly and mixing up a new batch was always a pain.There was always that " I have left the bike for a week would the petrol left in the tank still be safe " thought hanging over me.
On the trail the 220 was ok but I always felt that when you needed to get low down pulling power it was just not there . Higher up the range it was fine but the green lanes don't let you pull those sort of revs.There are a few climbs that the 220 just would not ride , sort of no power, more revs, too much power .
I changed mine for a 426 and have never looked back ok it carries more weight and it's more complex but I love the ride. The best off road bike I have owned , out of a DR125, DT125, DR400z, XR250, TE610, KDX220 .

• Bushdog

Posted October 07, 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hi bit late in on this one.
I owned a KDX220 for a year and it was ok, yes it was light and nippy but it did have it's faults. I found that the two stroke oil issue made riding it costly and mixing up a new batch was always a pain.There was always that " I have left the bike for a week would the petrol left in the tank still be safe " thought hanging over me.
On the trail the 220 was ok but I always felt that when you needed to get low down pulling power it was just not there . Higher up the range it was fine but the green lanes don't let you pull those sort of revs.There are a few climbs that the 220 just would not ride , sort of no power, more revs, too much power .
I changed mine for a 426 and have never looked back ok it carries more weight and it's more complex but I love the ride. The best off road bike I have owned , out of a DR125, DT125, DR400z, XR250, TE610, KDX220 .

the KDX220 is a different bike to the 200. not many people rate the 200 and 220 the same as there are different. i think knowone expects to get low down pulling power when ur riding a 2st with a piston the size of a shot glass. the KDX is all about big revs, but can still be riden as low revs, unlike a 125 motorcrosser. Dont know what you mean by "if i leave the bike for a week will the fuel be safe" - Personally i left premix fuel in the bike for up to 6 months, kicked it over and rode off. lots of people say that fuel "goes off" easily and stuff, it doesnt. i rode my WR450 for the first time in about 5 months yesterday, old fuel, started easy and that was that.

• rcmx67

Posted October 08, 2010 - 11:49 PM

Yes you are crazy. You need both. Don't sell the WR.

• MaxPower

Posted October 09, 2010 - 06:50 AM

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]You arent crazy. The WR is a darn heavy bike. I own one and am invested in it, but knowing what I know now I would ride a KTM200 or even a YZ250 off road.
The KDX is a great bike and you will have a lot of fun on it. I would do what ever I could to unsissy the bike. A pipe and silencer , port it some, remove the airbox cover and set your suspension.
Congratulations on your new bike [/COLOR]

• TracksNTrails

Posted October 09, 2010 - 07:53 PM

Thanks. I think the KDX is awesome. I could not have chosen a better bike for me. Unfortunately I have not been able to sell my WR450 yet, so I may have both for quite a while. I really need the money more than 2 bikes, though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.