WR400 5th Gear into YZ426?

1 reply to this topic
  • MyYz400

Posted August 29, 2010 - 07:20 AM

I just purchased (on the VERY cheap) a 2000 WR400 w/ a titled frame. However it has a blown motor (valve/piston impact). I'm sure the gears are still good (crank maybe not). I dont ride the YZ426 as much as I like anymore and instead of selling it an making next to nothing for a mint bike, I would like to swap the 426 motor into the WR frame, but the gearing is great for supermoto, but poor for street use. So that leads me to my question:

With the WR having a higher 5th than the YZ, could I pull the WR 5th out and put it into the YZ? Im sure I can get it done, but not sure if it would work. This will allow me to have a good usable 1st-4th, with a kind of overdrive for 5th (chugging on the street). Im going to save this for a winter project, but I wanted to see if anyone has done/tried this and see how successful they were at doing this swap.

Thanks in advance,

MyYz400

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2010 - 08:07 AM

I haven't personally done this (mixing gear sets), but it should be possible. The question will be how well the locking lugs on the YZ 3rd pinion gear (pinions are on the main shaft) match up to the WR 5th pinion, as that is what engages 5th.

The whole WR trans will of course bolt right in as a complete set.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.