Vortec 454 long block.

14 replies to this topic
  • Ud_Luz

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

My 99 Vortec 454 is giving up the ghost in one of my trucks. GM has a new long block assembly for $2200. That's less than what I can overhaul the old one for. Anybody bought one of these? Are they junk or the same as what was in the truck in the first place?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhendr3702

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

they are the same pretty much as new.. i am a gm parts mgr.. been in gm parts since 81.. we have very little issues with those replacement motors.. the warranty is awesome..

• greenguy500

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

We have used these in a couple of our trucks in the last few years with good results. The quality seems to be better than the parts-store rebuilts have shown. On a couple of occasions, we have used the small-block versions in our entry-level stock cars with only a change of the timing chain/gears and valve springs.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

My 99 Vortec 454 is giving up the ghost in one of my trucks. GM has a new long block assembly for $2200. That's less than what I can overhaul the old one for. Anybody bought one of these? Are they junk or the same as what was in the truck in the first place?

I'm about to buy a votec 350 (L31) for my 98 truck. It has 166K, runs perfect, quiet as a mouse, but has some piston slap when first started and I just want it fresh. There is 2 versions, one is a 2 bolt main, for about $80, I get the 4 bolt main. My employer also owns a Chevrolet dealership and can get 10% over cost as an employee there. Mine is about $1900, this is brand new.

I have installed these before years ago, they called them Targetmaster engines. Was perfect.

The L31 comes complete with valve covers, timing covers, oil pan, all I need to do is hang the accessories off the front, and install my intake unit. Crank and drive.

Ud_Luz, maybe look into the ZZ572-620 or for a pro stock motor ready to race, ZZ572-720 :foul::bonk:

Or lighter performance with the
http://www.gmhorsepower.com/454-HO.php

• JSanfilippo

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Or lighter performance with the
http://www.gmhorsepower.com/454-HO.php

Interesting how it has an 8.75:1 compression ratio, but still requires 92 octane gas. That torque curve is awesome. 400+ lbs-ft of torque right off idle should break a few seatbacks, no?

• Chevy_Cowboy

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:58 PM

I've never dealt with a crate big block from GM but I've installed a few of their small blocks for folks, never had any complaints. They're as well built if not a bit better than what they drop in assembly line cars.

My only beef with crate engines is it takes all the fun out of building your own. If you have a solid 454 block, tear into it yourself and have some fun, who cares about dollars! :bonk:

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:40 AM

My only beef with crate engines is it takes all the fun out of building your own. If you have a solid 454 block, tear into it yourself and have some fun, who cares about dollars! :bonk:

I've got a Continental O-470-G that needs overhauling. Lots of dollars for that project. I don't need to be messing with some old truck engine.

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

they are the same pretty much as new.. i am a gm parts mgr.. been in gm parts since 81.. we have very little issues with those replacement motors.. the warranty is awesome..

Is there a drop in 502 long block to replace the 1999 454?

• jhendr3702

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:57 AM

will look in the am and let you know.. i dont think so...
the problem with engines like the 502's, they fall into the performance side of gm engines and the warranty goes way down..
i think they are only 1 yr, no labor..

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

will look in the am and let you know.. i dont think so...
the problem with engines like the 502's, they fall into the performance side of gm engines and the warranty goes way down..
i think they are only 1 yr, no labor..

I kind of figured that's probably the case. It's no big deal but thanks anyway.

• 6 Riders

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:22 PM

where did you find this engine? I'm looking for one for my van!

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:29 PM

where did you find this engine? I'm looking for one for my van!

The 454 long block at your local GM dealer. Hendricks Chevrolet here in Kansas City sells crate motors WAY below what I've ever seen them sold anyplace else. Have fun swapping this out in a van.

The Continental O-470-G may be found at various air parts companies for $15,000 to $20,000. I haven't found a cheap source for these engines or parts. :bonk:

• 6 Riders

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:37 PM

That is a great price! hard to beat 2K for a 454! And yeah, swapping an engine in a van Sucks!

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Yes, performance parts has a 502HO. There is a 502 truck block too, but thta may be the tall deck with the 4 ring piston and the wider intake manifold.

502HO

Ud_Luz, what engine do you have in the truck now ie, RPO?? L##??

• Ud_Luz

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:11 PM

L29..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.