GPR vs. SCOTTS stabilizer

3 replies to this topic
  • Kevin

Posted February 10, 2001 - 06:43 AM

I desert race and GP race. Have a '99 400 set up for the desert and a '01 426 set up for GPs and an occassional MX. Just put a GPR stabilizer on my 400. I swear I became instantly faster. At the Parker 200 I started in the last "pill" in my class and passed my entire class in less than 6 miles, only to succumb to a pinch flat and had to watch every racer pass me as I limped about 25 miles w/ a flat front. I am going to put a stabilizer on my 426 and wonder if the extra cost of the SCOTTS is worth it. The GPR seems to do a pretty good job. Has anyone compared the two?

• Hick

Posted February 13, 2001 - 11:37 AM

Since nobody has responded I might as well relay some second hand information.

The source? A guy I went to HS with, he now lives in PHX and races Baja and the Whiplash series on an XR 650. Also ran the Baja 2000 using a GPR for the first time, I believe a sponsor (XRs only maybe?) gave it to him for Baja, but he had run Scott’s for several years before that.

Anyway, I asked him about it and, in his opinion, there is no difference in performance. He did prefer the Scott’s mounting kit to the GPR but I think XRs only was going to make him a better one so he could run different clamps with a different bar position.

I’m assuming you are happy with the mounting setup on your YZ? Why not just buy another kit and run the same unit on both bikes?

Ever run mousse inserts? I’ve ruined a few rims in races and was wondering how the foam things made your bike handle. Surprisingly I couldn’t find anybody who’s tried them, I’ve read a few articles describing in graphic detail how to mount them but they never mention how they ride. An extra set of wheels with inserts for dez racing would be the hot setup, wouldn’t it? (Especially for me, since stolen ones are the only ones I could afford to buy).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 20, 2001 - 07:26 PM

I race desert in the amature class and put a scotts on my bike. It hardly ever shakes and made me more confident, but I have never tried as GPR.
Good luck in your races.

• Clod_Thrower

Posted February 20, 2001 - 09:06 PM

I have a scotts leftover from my RM (Boy did it need one) I was going to sell it but you guys make me want to put it on my 426.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.