valve replacement

2 replies to this topic
  • chopp123

Posted August 27, 2010 - 07:55 PM

i have my original valves from 03 believe it or not. im looking at kibble white valves wich i used in my 01 yz426 motor. they are saying you have to buy the spring kit as well to use them in a 450. has anybody replaced with aftermarket valves at a decent price? with that spring kit its the same as factory.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steel Panther

Posted August 28, 2010 - 12:58 AM

I believe the kibble white valves are steel not Ti like OEM, The steel having more mass needs different springs to compensate. So you will be paying the same price for less preformance.

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2010 - 11:03 AM

IMO, when the seats are correctly finished, there is no advantage in longevity or performance to using stainless valves in a YZ450. The OEM Yamaha Ti valves last a very long time, as you can personally attest to.

SP is correct that the extra weight of stainless valves requires something to be done about valve springs. The Kibblewhite spring kit is so pricey because they try to avoid using much heavier spring pressure by substituting titanium spring retainers for the stock steel ones. It's a cool idea, but it runs the price up to the point that there's no cost advantage to the KW setup.

Aftermarket Ti valves are either more expensive, or not as good. There are some other sources of SS valves, and you can probably find a set of springs to use with the heavier valves.

I lean toward OEM replacement parts on this.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.