Occasional High Idle

6 replies to this topic
  • PeterJ

Posted June 22, 2003 - 07:41 PM

Well I looked at the bypass valve this weekend. Dutch, I didn't have it in me to cut that pin off like you said. I was afraid I would end up with massive amounts (650cc's) of engine braking. I polished the end of it so it would interface better with that nylon plunger thingy in the carb and lengthened the spring free length from 22.7mm to 27mm. I ended up with increased engine braking and occassional high idles. But, not as high as before. The jury is still out.

• Dutch

Posted June 23, 2003 - 02:27 AM

The situation I ride in here in the Northern Michigan woods made riding with the carb not returning to idle unacceptable. The tight single line trails are not very forgiving with a 650cc dirt bike storming into the corner and the motor is at a high idle. I had to grab the clutch going into the corner and had lots of things to do already.
It is true that when you remove that nub off that diaphragm it makes the return to idle more abrupt, but it allows you more flexibility in your idle speed settings. You now can set the idle up a bit; I couldn't do that before. The fact is that the conditions up in these northern woods exaggerate this return to idle problem, perhaps your riding situation makes this not so critical. I had no choice; it was either fix it or replace it, (which I did later with a TM40 Mikuni).
How about instead of cutting off the entire nub, take off small amounts and check the results?

• Rockjockey

Posted June 23, 2003 - 08:21 AM

What pin? Did I miss something?Whats this about drilling holes in the slide? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PeterJ

Posted June 23, 2003 - 01:14 PM

It's hard to know what is right. If you removed the pin and got no high idle and I lengthened the spring and got less high idle and more engine braking I have to deduce that the bypass valve has a window in which it operates (Because we got the same results from oposite approaches.), like a PCV or EGR valve. I am going to try plugging the vacuum port. That way if I don't like the result it can be re-opened. I like your idea of setting up the idle to diminish engine braking. I should have never stretched the spring. Thanks for the info Dutch.

• XR650Rrider

Posted June 24, 2003 - 10:09 AM

There are some pictures at http://autos.groups....Cut-off Valve / that shows how to disable the valve. Small piece of rubber tubing (tygon) that fits inside of spring and about 5mm in length and keeps diaphragm from being able to move.

• PeterJ

Posted June 24, 2003 - 05:36 PM

What setup do you run? Have you tried shorter peices?

• XR650Rrider

Posted June 24, 2003 - 11:52 PM

I run mine stock. I've never had a complaint with it the way it is. The off idle hesitation is inherent an you learn to live with it or buy a new carb. I've never noticed the snatchiness others mention.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.