Flying pigs!!

22 replies to this topic
  • JR650

Posted June 22, 2003 - 06:32 PM

Just started to really jump my BRP today and was suprised at how easy it is to control in the air, it is after all a fairly heavy and tanklike bike. My problem is how to get the rear wheel down, seems like i am always digging in on landing, is this thing way front heavy maybe?getting on the gas isnt seeming to work too well. Just figured i would ask some of the most knowledgeable pig people around and see if anyone has a solution or can tell me if this is a natural trait of the BRP. Thanks in advance

• PeterJ

Posted June 22, 2003 - 08:10 PM

JR650,
Did you know that your age, plus the number of kids you have should equal at least 30 before you attempt such feats? :D Assuming you're not seated towards the rear of the seat at take off, and have good riding technique :), try turning in the rear shock rebound damping clicker (the one on the bottom of the shock) in one click at a time. I have mine at 8 out from all the way in. This also effects the compression damping and will make the bike ride stiffer but it should fly better. A revalve is in order but I haven't got in there yet, so I'll have to keep quiet for now! :D

• PeterJ

Posted June 22, 2003 - 08:31 PM

JR,

There's a shop manual on E-bay now! :)

• sunnymex

Posted June 23, 2003 - 06:19 AM

If you want to get your suspension redone, take it to Precision Concepts, they do amazing work. I just got my bike back from them and now the suspension feels as though I am sitting on a sofa it is so plush. This is the same set-up that Cambell runs on his race bikes. Nice people there.

Have fun fun in the air up there. It is a pretty sweet feeling launching that big 650 isnt it. We have a small motorcross track that I take mine out on and there are some nice jumps on. You really get some heads turning by racing it against two strokes. Even more heads, when you actually beat them.

• loufish

Posted June 23, 2003 - 02:21 PM

is this thing way front heavy maybe?

When I first started riding my BRP, and jumping, it wanted to always land on the front tire...like that's a bunch of fun! :)
Now I learned to make a some sort of effort to make it fly right, be it pull back on the bars, gas it at the bottom of the jump and lean back, whatever it takes.

• Rokatt88

Posted June 23, 2003 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, whatever you do...DO NOT CHOP THE THROTTLE when you are cresting the jump!! Your nose will drop faster than Bill Clinton's pants! :D Otherwise just gas it and have fun! :)

• JR650

Posted June 23, 2003 - 04:11 PM

alright, thanks guys, it wasnt just me, time to go try some more.

• qadsan

Posted June 23, 2003 - 05:38 PM

Your nose will drop faster Bill Clinton's pants!

:) :D :D :D

• smashinz2002

Posted June 23, 2003 - 05:47 PM

Don't break your shock linkage man!!!! Read up if you don't know what I mean. The aluminum parts like to chew each other up if you don't keep 'er greased well!
Have fun! :)

• JR650

Posted June 23, 2003 - 06:22 PM

Hey loufish, hows that T-4 treating you? been looking at the pro-circuit and yosh 650R full systems, how does the t-4 sound? loud is good. hows build quality? power? little off topic i know but cant hurt to ask.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigtom17

Posted June 26, 2003 - 05:38 AM

In response to Smashinz2002:
Don't break your shock linkage man!!!! Read up if you don't know what I mean. The aluminum parts like to chew each other up if you don't keep 'er greased well!

I can second that. I am rebuilding my swingarm because the linkage bearing failed. Get in there and grease these. Most of my bearings were starting to fail after 1 year, due to not greasing. I had to replace the linkage,(hard failure) I had to push it to the road and walk back to get rig. Trust me check and lube.

• loufish

Posted June 27, 2003 - 02:43 AM

Hey loufish, hows that T-4 treating you?

It's a real nice system, quality is first rate, and yes it did get louder. P/C offers 2 sizes for the end caps for the silencer, when I bought my system I didn't know this, and I have the smaller cap. My friend has the same system but with the larger cap, which seems to give him a little more top end power then mine. I lost a little power at the bottom, but picked up at mid, and of course the top. I wished I tried running the P/C system with the stock head pipes to see how that combo ran, but I never rode the bike at all until adding a bunch of mods, including the exhaust.

• Danco

Posted June 27, 2003 - 06:08 AM

Learn to seat bounce or pre-load your suspension. Just hitting a jump or bump will throw you forward unless you pre-load your forks. When the forks unload it will throw the front of the bike higher. You can do this standing up or sitting down ie: seat bounce. It's easier standing up just push down on the bars when the front tire hits the jump and shift your weight back once the tire clears the jump. This will force the front higher and your body into a more natural position. If you start to go too far back just tap the rear brake and the front will dip. Start slow and then move up your speed/height. The pig will fly very neutral but there's alot of weight hitting the ground when she lands so spring rate and compression/rebound are critical. You don't want the forks collapsing under you. The seat bounce is a little tougher because timing is more critical. You basically hit the face of the jump seated and your weight on the seat preloads the suspension for you. Your timing on when you stand up determines how you land. Watch the pros at SX. They are the masters of seat bouncing as it works best when you have very little run room to the jump. Very cool when mastered. :)

• motometal

Posted June 27, 2003 - 01:14 PM

seat bouncing works, but be carefull...when done wrong, things can get ugly fast. In my opinion it's way over-rated (chiropractors like it though). On 99.9% of the tracks I have seen, a rider with a strong motor and good technique can clear any jump on the track without the seat bounce. This might be a more important trick for a 225 pound guy on a 125.

• Moredesert

Posted June 28, 2003 - 11:24 AM

Oh Ya, The flying Pig. The front end is heavier than my DRZ but jumps real well at high speed. I just give a pull back at the last min to land the rear wheel.

Posted Image

• Mainjet2001

Posted June 28, 2003 - 12:37 PM

Hey Moredesert.....
Cool picture.
Is that the cattle guard crossing going to Mikes Sky Ranch from the hiway?

• CYBORG

Posted June 28, 2003 - 01:06 PM

Must be the wings in the rad shrouds holding you guys up! :)

• Moredesert

Posted June 29, 2003 - 04:26 PM

Hi Mainjet, That is the back side of Mikes by the Rancho El Coyote. We must have been going 60 MPH when we hit the cattle crossing.

Cyborg, We just drank some Red Bull :)

• Mainjet2001

Posted June 29, 2003 - 05:07 PM

I have done that at that same crossing also,
you betcha...
Well at 17 MPH. LOL :)

• MotoChris521

Posted June 30, 2003 - 12:23 PM

YO ! Jr650,MY T-4 On my650L*(with 2"outlet)Rips! :)

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.