45 pilot
Needle dropped one position
Air screw two turns out

The bike runs awesome except it cuts out over
bumps and jumps. Please help!

Jay

• motoman393

Posted February 10, 2001 - 04:44 PM

Does your bike cut out on every little jump and bump? Or does it vary? I had a XR400 which had the same problem you are having...after many hours of jetting frustrations, I came to the conclusion that my float was sticking open and sometimes shut :) ! So I took my carb off and gave it some treatment with carb cleaner and compressed air :D ! I also checked my float level (which was fine) and the bike ran great afterwards!

I also have heard of guys with 98-99 YZ400's having dirty accelerator pumps...I have not had this problem so I cant help ya on this (but im sure others can like: Boit, Hick, James Dean, mikeolichney, etc since they are experienced with the YZF's carb) !

If you have never taken the carb before...just lay out some white towels on the floor of the garage or workbench and start disassembly (sometimes it gets hard to see those little parts)! And just follow the manuals procedures (since it is pretty straight forward on the directions)! Hope this helps you solve your annoying problem!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Keyser_Zoze

Posted February 10, 2001 - 07:45 PM

Thanks. I'll act on the advice and repost tomorrow!

Originally posted by motoman393:
Does your bike cut out on every little jump and bump? Or does it vary? I had a XR400 which had the same problem you are having...after many hours of jetting frustrations, I came to the conclusion that my float was sticking open and sometimes shut :) ! So I took my carb off and gave it some treatment with carb cleaner and compressed air :D ! I also checked my float level (which was fine) and the bike ran great afterwards!

I also have heard of guys with 98-99 YZ400's having dirty accelerator pumps...I have not had this problem so I cant help ya on this (but im sure others can like: Boit, Hick, James Dean, mikeolichney, etc since they are experienced with the YZF's carb) !

If you have never taken the carb before...just lay out some white towels on the floor of the garage or workbench and start disassembly (sometimes it gets hard to see those little parts)! And just follow the manuals procedures (since it is pretty straight forward on the directions)! Hope this helps you solve your annoying problem!

Garrett

• James_Dean

Posted February 11, 2001 - 10:08 PM

I have not had this problem on my WR, but did on a previous bike. The float level increased with hard square edged impacts that were in long stretches. You may want to lower the float level to 1mm below stock.

James

• Boit

Posted February 12, 2001 - 03:35 PM

You might also want to check that your carb vent lines are not kinked or clogged with dried mud....only takes a couple of minutes and requires no tools. Sometimes, it's the simplest of things.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.