Any experience with Big Gun Quiet Series??

8 replies to this topic
  • rwhitlock

Posted April 08, 2001 - 02:10 PM

I noticed an ad in one of the mags for the Big Gun Quiet Series. It claims a 94db level. Seems much better than the 104db from FMF....

Anyone know what stock db level is with the baffle left in? (That seems to be the quietest the bike can get..)

Has anyone tried this Big Gun exhaust?

Thanks for your input...

Rod

• JamesD

Posted April 08, 2001 - 05:07 PM

Yeah, but will it offer more HP than stock with the baffel in?

• Eric_in_WA

Posted April 09, 2001 - 10:36 AM

I would ask what RPM are they testing at - it makes a huge difference.

I installed the 2000 BigGun SDS with a quiet core and spark arrestor on a '99 WR400F. It was quieter than the stock uncorked WR exhaust, but louder than the stock YZF exhaust.

Remember when FMF was making claims about their new "quiet" Powerbomb and PowerCore IV exhaust last year. When DirtRider measured the sound, it was louder than the stock YZF exhaust.

caveat emptor - buyer beware.
Eric in WA

[This message has been edited by Eric in WA (edited 04-09-2001).]

• Mike_in_Roseville

Posted April 09, 2001 - 07:06 PM

I put this on my WR for a very short period of time, then returned. The SDS system, with there super quiet core insert. It was not much quieter. DB's still ranged about 104. This is with the super quiet core. 94 db's is a sham. I had the E series on the WR before the SDS system, and the E series with the quiet core and 8 disks was 103 db's. Don't believe everything you read. Tested at 3000 rpms on both. When I asked Big Gun about this they "could not believe it" They must have tested the system with pillows wrapped around the exhaust. They need to test in the real world. I now have a ktm 400 exc and the exhaust is quiet as can be (stock) and still plenty of power. IF KTM can produce a product that is powerful and quiet, why can't Yamaha or the aftermarket systems.

good luck in your quest for power with no noise.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 10, 2001 - 10:34 AM

What's a KTM owner doing in the WR forum? Traitor!!! Call the moderator!!! :)

Hope to see you at Stonyford on the 21st - I think I can make it.

Brian

• Bill

Posted April 10, 2001 - 12:57 PM

It's ok Brian, I got my eyes on this guy ....them KTM guys can be shifty, ya know :)

But I do have to agree with Mike. If Katoom can do it, why can't Yamaha or the aftermarket?

Bill :D

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• Mike_in_Roseville

Posted April 10, 2001 - 03:10 PM

Hey Brian,

With all the talk you put forward on the sound thing I thought for sure you would back some of my comments. I stray from time to time from Brian's KTM side over to see what you all are doing. Besides, the guys I ride with all have WR's. Stoneyford on the 21st. Are you actually going again. I will believe it when I see it. Bad news is I don't know if I can make it. My boys tball game. Hope to ride with you someday soon.

Mike

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted April 10, 2001 - 04:07 PM

Easy Mike - I was just razzing you about jumping to the pumpkin bike :) I guess I'm just jealous....

I agree with you whole heartedly about the noise stuff. I don't have any personal experience with aftermarket pipes on the WR - remember, I have the stock WR exhaust w/Thumper racing tip. I read somewhere that a KTM520 silencer can be installed on a WR and it is pretty darn quiet w/o any power sacrifice.

I've got to check with the boss about Stonyford on the 21st or 22nd but I really will try to make it - even though it's so far from Santa Rosa. Middle Creek works much better for me....

Hope to see you out there.

Brian

• John_in_Granite_Bay

Posted April 11, 2001 - 06:08 PM

Yeh Brian, but for the price of at KTM silencer you could probably just buy 7 billion ear plugs for the rest of the world.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.