Oil Loss Gremlins

4 replies to this topic
  • twomancrew

Posted August 26, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Bike was ripping thru oil, 150-170 ml per ride. Installed new big bore 478 cylinder, piston, rings, valve seals, new intake valves & new timing chain. Old cylinder did not look that bad, could see some wear on nickasil. Still went thru 150ml per ride:banghead:, but then after about 3 rides it went down to about 60ml oil loss per ride:confused:. Did rings seat better? Then I started going thru oil again 150ml +. Found oil leak @ front sprocket counter shaft seal. Replaced w/new. Still go thru 60ml+ per ride. :bonk: The harder I ride the more oil I go thru. Any suggestions? Bike has ton of hours, runs strong, starts first kick. What is OK oil loss? 30ml? Typical ride 45m high country single track.

• usp4u

Posted August 27, 2010 - 11:51 AM

Are you positive you are checking the oil in the correct manner ? There is a "drill" you should follow to ensure you are getting an accurate reading. See the tacked thread at the top of the forum.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twomancrew

Posted August 28, 2010 - 05:44 PM

Yeah, I check it hot all the time. Make sure it's level too.

• ZéPovinho

Posted August 29, 2010 - 02:30 PM

how many rings had the new piston? the athena big bore only has the top and the oil ring. is yours the same?

• twomancrew

Posted September 01, 2010 - 07:18 PM

Top ring, oil ring, bottom ring. Just cannot figure it out. Yesterday road fairly hard and only went thru 10ml.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.