Yz 450 07 or 08

10 replies to this topic
  • Bigdong

Posted August 26, 2010 - 11:46 AM

Im planning on buying a newer yzf but i cant decide wheather to go for an 07 or 08. Obviously i would assume that the 08 is the better bike but money wise an 08 would be me scraping the barrel. Is it worth it going for the 08 or comfortably buying an 07 and then using the cash i have left over to get bits that it may need?

And my next question would be 250 or 450?

250 im thinking because its lighter and i would probably be faster on it but the downside that it will probably have been more thrashed than a 450? Also ive not tried a 250 4 stroke and was thinking it may be a bit lacking on power. will i always be wishing i got the 450? I currently have an 03 450 and it seems nice but ive tried a ktm 280 and it felt like i could go faster on it.

thx in advance.

• wr450fLee

Posted August 26, 2010 - 12:35 PM

I love my 07, I rode a 2010 kxf250 at the track the other day and it seemed to lack power compared to mine I was forever changing gear. Not sure of the weight comparisons, but alloy frame model should be lighter than yours toohttp://1.2.3.10/bmi/www.thumpertalk.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

• Riel250f

Posted August 27, 2010 - 04:01 AM

I love my 07' as well.
Best bike I've owned yet, in power delivery and turning.
This bike turns like no other. I don't see how people can say
the 07' yammies don't like to turn.

I've had an 00' YZ426, 03' YZ250F, 04' YZ250F and 06 YZ125.

• Bigdong

Posted August 27, 2010 - 04:24 AM

So i would be better going for the 07 seeing as its that bit cheaper and i can put some nice stuff on it then. No reliability issues or anything?

• geshields

Posted August 27, 2010 - 07:00 AM

I love my 2007 YZ450F. However, I agree that the thing does not like to turn. First, let me say that like any other bike, you accept the bad with the good and learn to overcome the bad habits of the bike. When I rode my bike right after or before my wifes bike 2008 YZ250F or my buddies 2006 CRF450F, it was night and day as far as turning. I would have to work on turning my bike in the corners where theirs just did it. All other aspects of the bike I have come to love!

Here are the things I did to my bike to try and alleviate it: Dr. D Radiator lowering links(not worth it), forks higher in the triple clamps, lower sag reading, and suspension mods...

I have gotten used to the turning issue and was OK with it. However, after the latest suspension mod to my bike, it corners and turns like it is on rails finally. I have had all my suspension work done by myself with parts from DaveJ at Smart Performance. I did all the work in stages as I went along and progressed in riding ability. I just completed his DDT mod (Del Taco) and now it is perfect in all aspects.

Get the 2007 and save the money and get the suspension done....

edit: also,absolutely no reliability issues...the motors are bulletproof....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted August 27, 2010 - 07:06 AM

If you're heavier I'd get a 450.
If you are lighter and carry a lot of momentum in corners maybe consider the 250F. If you are point and shoot and/or like to steer with the rear wheel then a 450F.

No sense scraping the barrel to enjoy your hobby. Save some money. Put it into gas and gear and tires, and ride more. An 08 in the garage turns no better than an 07 on the dirt!

Another option is a 250 two stroke.

• Bigdong

Posted August 27, 2010 - 07:22 AM

Ive come off a 250 2 stroke and like to scream my bikes but from what ive read from you guys i think i will go with the 07, suspension is the most important part of the bike to me so id really like to spend some money on that. But i also enjoy my 03 450 because its a lazier bike to ride than the 2 stroke. =p

• erickdj

Posted August 27, 2010 - 09:24 AM

Ive come off a 250 2 stroke and like to scream my bikes but from what ive read from you guys i think i will go with the 07, suspension is the most important part of the bike to me so id really like to spend some money on that. But i also enjoy my 03 450 because its a lazier bike to ride than the 2 stroke. =p

if suspension is your biggest concern, go with the 08, unless the price difference is huge. The 08 was praised for its awesome suspension out of the box, not to mention the chassis tweaks that made it turn better than the 07. I own an 08 and can vouch for its great stock suspension and no turning issues.

• Bigdong

Posted August 27, 2010 - 09:31 AM

if suspension is your biggest concern, go with the 08, unless the price difference is huge. The 08 was praised for its awesome suspension out of the box, not to mention the chassis tweaks that made it turn better than the 07. I own an 08 and can vouch for its great stock suspension and no turning issues.

Well an 07 i can get for around the £2000 mark but for the 08 your talking bout 2500 up. But if the suspension is tht much better it may be worth it? Alot of people are saying the turning issue for the 07 is just getting everything dialled in right.

• Lankyrider

Posted August 27, 2010 - 10:12 AM

Motocross action magazine's review says that the 07 is faster than the 08. Although i haven't ridden a 07 i believe that it is true. As for turning i thing that 08 is way better.

• erickdj

Posted August 27, 2010 - 11:29 AM

Well an 07 i can get for around the £2000 mark but for the 08 your talking bout 2500 up. But if the suspension is tht much better it may be worth it? Alot of people are saying the turning issue for the 07 is just getting everything dialled in right.

that's not too big of a price difference. In my opinion, the 08 is a better choice for a few reasons:
1.)has a better probability of having less wear and tear, having been used less(but it might vary depending on who used it and how much care it received)
2.)It naturally turns better out of the box
3.)The suspension is better out of the box
4.)better resale value, in case you decide to get rid of it at some point

The 07 might get the turning issue fixed with some dialing, but I've seen people here who try endless tweaks to the bike and never feel that they got it right. It's kind of a gamble to see if it will ever feel like it turns good for you.

Motocross action magazine's review says that the 07 is faster than the 08. Although i haven't ridden a 07 i believe that it is true. As for turning i thing that 08 is way better.

The 07 might "feel" faster, since the 08's power spread is so smooth it's deceivingly fast. Even though the 07 feels more "powerful", it actually has less top HP than the 08.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.