Balancing flywheel?

3 replies to this topic
  • kmcbride

Posted February 09, 2001 - 05:32 PM

Getting ready to up my flywheel weight to 12oz. What are the risk of using the bolt-on weights as far as assuring flywheel balance. Stroker's 12 oz. is a bolt on type that has some "play" in it when placing it behind existing flywheel. I used shims to center the weight and drilled with press, but when tightening bolts slowly and alternating the weight shifts from center even with the shims in place. How true does this need to be? What will an out of balance flywheel do? Stroker evidently welds them on but does not balance them. Couldn't the weld itself play a role in balance? Thanks.

• Boit

Posted February 09, 2001 - 05:41 PM

This is an interesting question. Did you talk to the guys at Stroker about this? I would think that any rotating mass would cause vibration if not balanced correctly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kmcbride

Posted February 09, 2001 - 06:28 PM

Stroker said that they would mount the weight
via welding, but do not machine balance. It sounded as if they had something similar to a lathe where they checked for run-out. I have a machinist friend that could weld but not balance.

• Boit

Posted February 09, 2001 - 11:03 PM

Yeah, I think that static balancing is what's called for this application.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.